[Peace-discuss] Peace & impeachment

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 7 10:19:41 CST 2007

[1] Words from another Democratic party hack, on Kucinich's
impeach-Cheney resolution:

	House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.), agreed
that it was not in Pelosi's interests to advance the articles of
impeachment. "If she were to let this thing out of the box, considering
the number of legislative issues we have pending ... it could create a
split that could affect our productivity for the rest of the Congress,"
Conyers told Fox News.

...and, you have to admit, the Democrats' "productivity" has been
marvelous this year: why, they took an anti-war vote last fall and
turned it into a pro-war policy that incidentally had the effect of
making 2007 the deadliest year for US troops in Iraq -- not to mention
that they're drenched with the blood of Iraqis.  But they'll save us
from the Republicans, right?

[2] Peace and Impeachment in Los Angeles

	Wednesday, 7 November 2007, 9:19 am
	Peace and Impeachment in Los Angeles
	By David Swanson

...As you've heard, thanks to Senator Schumer and California's own
Senator Feinstein (whose husband is a war profiteer), the Senate is
likely to approve as our top law enforcement official a man who refuses
to call torture techniques torture because doing so might aid in the
prosecution of torturers. Feinstein claims that Mukasey admits that the
military cannot waterboard. But she avoids the fact that the CIA has
been doing the waterboarding, and that Mukasey will not reject the
practice. Feinstein then turns around and proposes banning
waterboarding, as if it were legal. She adds that the Senate should
question Mukasey about it... AFTER confirming him.

Bush was prepared to have no Attorney General if not Mukasey. And why
not? Gonzales never exercised any independent thinking while holding
that office. There was always something ludicrous about impeaching him.
Having no Attorney General would be appropriate, I think, in a
government in which we've gone for years without any people's
representatives in Congress.

This is the year of the living dead in Washington. And it will be two
years if we don't do something. The Democratic Congress took power in
January with the intention of keeping Bush, Cheney, and the occupation
of Iraq around for two years, so that they could run in the next
elections against the same things they'd just been elected to deal with.

So, the Democrats faced a dilemma, How do you keep a war and a criminal
administration around while appearing to oppose them for two years? You
do it by introducing bills. And the fight for the doomed bills becomes
an electoral campaign funded by taxpayers. Of course, you know from the
start that with very few exceptions any decent bills, especially on
Iraq, will be vetoed if not filibustered. But if you sell the idea hard
enough that you simply must have a bill, then what you can do is watch
good bills fail and then introduce bad bills and watch them be signed
into law.

But we have actually known since last November that there would be only
two useful things this Congress could do – although it could do lots of
other things after doing these two – and neither one involves passing a
bill.

The first thing is to announce that there will be no more bills brought
to the floor to fund the occupation of Iraq. Ed Schultz on his radio
show this week asked Harry Reid why he doesn't just do that. Reid had no
answer and sounded as if he'd never thought about the idea. He admitted
that he could do it, but said he would not. Pelosi has, in her trademark
phrase, said that the idea is “off the table.” But 41 senators could
filibuster the funding, and Senator Boxer is the single most likely
senator to find the nerve to do it. She is the only senator who has said
she supports impeachment, and she was the only senator to challenge the
Ohio election results.

Boxer and her colleagues can establish the model for ending the
occupation funding by following Chris Dodd's lead and filibustering a
bill to legalize unconstitutional spying and grant immunity to violators
of FISA and our fourth amendment.

In the House, 90 congress members have committed to voting No on funding
bills that don't end the occupation by January 2009. See
http://afterdowningstreet.org/peacepledge

The funding to bring every soldier, sailor, marine, contractor, and
mercenary home is pocket change to the Pentagon which routinely
“misplaces” greater amounts of our hard-earned money. But if Bush wanted
money to pay for the withdrawal, Congress could certainly give him that
and nothing else. But to do that out of fear of the media would suggest
an attitude in Congress not yet ready to take on the White House and its
propaganda machine, a Congress like the one in which Pete Stark
apologizes for saying a few true words. We're going to need congress
members to go grassroots and join us in challenging the military
industrial media complex.

And I don't think fear of the media is the largest force keeping
Congress from acting. I think more important is congress members'
obedience to party leadership and that leadership's cynical decision to
keep the war going for electoral reasons that will probably fail on
their own terms. What we have to do is make it easier for each congress
member to oppose the leadership on this than it is or them to continue
opposing the will of the majority of Americans.

A lot of us believe we are in the midst of a constitutional crisis. We
have a White House that ignores subpoenas, rewrites laws, lies to
Congress, lies to the public, spies without warrant, detains without
charge, tortures, murders, uses illegal weapons, abandons cities to
destruction, rigs elections. Et cetera. We could take up the whole night
listing the abuses.

Most congress members do not believe we are in a crisis. After all,
people still treat them as big shots and offer them piles of cash. And
even though Bush and Cheney ignore their subpoenas, they can send
letters to the White House that sometimes get printed in newspapers. But
quite a few congress members would think they were in a crisis if they
cut off the war funding, because Bush and Cheney would simply steal
money from the Pentagon to keep the occupation going – illegally,

And it's always been illegal. It is illegal under the U.N. Charter and
our Constitution to invade and occupy another nation, to lie to
Congress, to misappropriate funds to begin the the attack before
congressional approval, to launch a war without a declaration of war,
and to turn a six-week cakewalk into a permanent occupation using bases
that were never approved by Congress or publicly discussed. The
semblance of legality has been provided by Congress's check book. If
they cut the money off, Bush and Cheney won't end the occupation. And
the worry about funds for withdrawal will look rather comical as Bush
manages to find much greater amounts. Congress is now passing a record
“defense” bill, so the money will be there.

When Bush keeps the war going, Congress will have two choices. The first
is to admit that we now have a king and a bunch of court jesters, rather
than a Congress and an executive. The second choice is also the second
useful thing that I mentioned Congress can do. It can take out and make
use of that portion of the Constitution that reads:

“The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United
States shall be removed from office on impeachment for and conviction of
Treason, Bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.”

Congress is going to have an opportunity to do so this week when
Congressman Dennis Kucinich forces a vote on the floor of the U.S. House
of Representatives on a resolution to take up the impeachment of Vice
President Richard B. Cheney. You might as well start at the top.

We need everyone to flood the media and Congress with the demand that
Congress support impeachment. You can find out how at
http://impeachcheney.org

Congress members have a lot of excuses. One of their favorites is that
it would look bad for them to cosponsor a resolution that many of their
colleagues will supposedly never support. That excuse goes away this
week. They're no longer deciding whether to bring impeachment up. It is
up. They can vote to kill it or to give it a chance. It costs them the
same effort either way. They are on record for history either way. They
must face their votes in the next elections either way.

There are congress members with form letters they send to their
constituents who urge them to sign onto Kucinich's resolution. They
won't sign on, they say, because they have other priorities, but they'll
keep the public's concern in mind if the matter ever comes up for a
vote. Well, here it comes.

SO, WHAT CAN YOU DO?

If you are in the military, you can refuse illegal orders. The rest of
us must support those who take such a step. At http://DontAtackIran.org
is a letter that Marcy Winograd and Michael Jay of Los Angeles helped
write to the military urging disobedience to orders to attack Iran. You
can go there and add your name. You can also get a book called “Army of
None” and use it to counter recruiting efforts. The Army just had its
worst recruiting year since the Vietnam War. That is the one and only
reason that there are not more U.S. troops n Iraq.

If you are in government, you can expose crimes and refuse to take part
in them. You can follow the example of Ann wright and resign. The rest
of us must support those who do.

If you work for a company profiting from war or manufacturing the tools
of war, you can (if you can manage it) quit your job. The rest of us
have a duty to support people who take such steps. If we had a labor
movement worthy of the name, it would be advancing this cause, not
pushing bills destined to be vetoed and funding television networks
through election campaigns.

If you are a member of an astroturf party front group like Americans
Against Escalation in Iraq or Moveon.org, you can push that group to
back impeachment. Force every group to take a position on this one – yes
or no – for the rule of law or the rule of Cheney.

The ACLU led the charge for impeachment 34 years ago and is now afraid
to act. Shame the American Cheney's Still at Liberty Union into living
up to its past. Amnesty International, People for the American Way,
these are organizations that now lack the integrity of the Center for
Constitutional Rights and the National Lawyers Guild. The NLG yesterday
unanimously and enthusiastically passed a resolution supporting the
impeachment of Bush and Cheney.

Hound these organizations until they step forward. Make them feel it in
their bank accounts.

The National Organization for Women used to back impeachment. I saw the
president Kim Gandy on election night, and she was still for it. Within
a week she flipped. She prevented her board from taking a position, and
backed the number one opponent of impeachment in the country, Hillary
Clinton. Is it the National Organization for Woman, singular?

Other organizations working on other issues, such as those active this
week on global warming, should join with the impeachment movement or
admit that they are just pretending for the next year.

If you are part of a local Democratic Party or if you give money to the
national Democratic Party, let them know: not another dime until
impeachment. This is a crisis, and if we do not make changes, we will
have at least 5 more years of the war of terror.

As you know, local and state governments can pass resolutions, and you
can lobby them to do so. Local petitions can help, and you can make them
part of a national petition at http://afterdowningstreet.org/petition
You can also make impeachment an issue in the local elections this week.

Members of the media can contribute to a rebirth of democracy quite
simply by doing their jobs.

Lawyers can help defend whistle-blowers.

Artists can communicate the crisis we face.

And there are many things that each and every one of us can do. We can
try to influence all of the sorts of people I've just mentioned.

We can engage in media activism, pushing for coverage and polling. Last
week the second poll ever done on impeaching Cheney was published. The
first one was national and found 54 percent in favor. I suspect it's
higher now. The new one was only in Vermont and found 64 percent in
favor. Where's the California poll? Why not commission one? Why not
harass pollsters until they do one? See
http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/polling

You can also be the media. The best coverage I saw of the October 27th
march in LA was not produced by the corporate media. It's good to hold
events like this one, but be sure to videotape and post your events
online immediately. There are tons of movies and books now that make for
good events followed by discussion. But the best events are either
debates (because they bring new people into the room) or events that
plan serious actions.

You can also talk to a lot of people if you wear an impeach shirt or
even an impeach bush and cheney bracelet:
http://afterdowningstreet.org/bracelet

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

But the most effective things you can do involve a few people getting
together and taking serious nonviolent action. If you saw a child
drowning, wouldn't you jump in? Well, our democracy is drowning, and it
wouldn't take much to save it. And you don't have to go to Washington.
Start by visiting your congress member's local office and demanding a
commitment to vote No on any more war funding and a commitment to vote
No on tabling impeachment (or Yes on taking impeachment up). Then stand
out front with posters that read “Honk to Impeach.” Then sit in their
office and read the Constitution loudly and sing and do not leave. Just
a few people are needed, but when they're forced out or taken to jail,
have a few more do it the next day. Make it impossible for that office
to function for a week. Make sure the media knows why. Make clear that
you represent the majority of Americans.

Going to jail is usually painless when it's for a day or an hour. Pay
your fine or go to court, it's up to you. Ann wright has done it more
times than anybody can count anymore. On Friday in Washington Eve Tetaz,
a 76-year-old woman was sentenced to 7 days for repeated nonviolent
protesting and refusing to pay fines. If she can do that, what can you do?

A very few people, or even one, can also impact national news by
creatively disrupting events, as when Desiree Farooz held bloody hands
up to Condi, or Ray McGovern questioned Rumsfeld, or Texans on Friday
protested Cheney. At http://afterdowningstreet.org click on Activism to
find schedules of where big shots will be when.