[Peace-discuss] More on Ron Paul, now from Juan Cole

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 10 22:12:53 CST 2007

[This is a rather hasty and sloppy comment from Juan Cole's often
informative blog, Informed Comment.  Unfortunately, it's informed here
by such things as Karl Wittfogel's Oriental Despotism (New Haven 1957),
where Cole gets "government was invented by irrigation-based societies
like Egypt and Iraq." (Wittfogel's work is termed by a good historian,
Perry Anderson, a "vulgar charivari, devoid of any historical sense"
Lineages of the Absolutist State [London 1974] p. 487n4.)  It's also
remarkably obtuse to say that "abuse of government by W. and his
administration ... has ... done wonders for leftwing anarchism ...:
witness the reemergence of Noam Chomsky as a major voice after he had
been marginalized for decades."  Chomsky's little book of interviews,
9-11, published in October of 2001, was a best-seller even before "W.
and his administration" had much time for "abuse of government"; from
book sales to rock bands, Chomsky had hardly been "marginalized for
decades" before 2001.  Cole's also wrong about Social Security's needing
a "fix," and, more importantly, wrong to suggest that the abuses of
government began with Bush. He must have slept through the '90s to say
that Clinton made government "relatively effective and popular."  And
what can he possibly mean by saying that "The opposite of fascism is not
democracy but anarchy"? That you must choose one?  And a professor of
history must understand the marxist notion of the state better than he
seems to. (For openers, Marx insisted on state power over against his
critics from the Left, like Bakunin.) But, in spite of all this, Cole is
right about what "almost single-handedly" explains Paul's appeal -- and
it's not what we call (only in this country) Libertarianism. --CGE]

	Saturday, November 10, 2007
	Did W. Create Ron Paul?

Gordon Robison argues that his stance on the Iraq War almost
single-handedly explains Rep. Ron Paul's amazing fundraising ability
(which recently outstripped that of Sen. John McCain, the last
unreconstructed hawk on the Iraq War.)

I'm not sure it is just Iraq that drives Ron Paul's popularity, though
of course that is part of it. I suspect that it is in some important
part the abuse of government by W. and his administration that has made
rightwing anarchism so popular. (It has done wonders for leftwing
anarchism too: witness the reemergence of Noam Chomsky as a major voice
after he had been marginalized for decades).

Government is a set of bargains, a 'moral economy.' We let the
government take a certain proportion of our money, and we expect it to
organize services for us that would otherwise be difficult to arrange.
Anyone who has studied any history and economics knows that the market
is going to leave some people destitute, and you need government to
correct for that imbalance. It is no accident that government was
invented by irrigation-based societies like Egypt and Iraq, where if
someone did not organize the peasants to do the irrigation work and keep
it up, everybody would starve.

Bush has broken the US government. The US military was there to protect
us. Bush has used it to fight a fascist-style aggressive war of choice.
FEMA is there for emergency aid. Bush did not deploy it effectively for
New Orleans. Social security lifted the elderly out of the poverty that
had often been their fate before the 1930s. Bush declined to use
Clinton's surplus to fix the system, and has essentially borrowed
against the pensions of us all to pay for his wars. Government is there
to ensure our security. Bush has used it to spy on us, to prosecute
patently innocent persons, to manipulate the media and instill us with
lies and propaganda.

If government is to be conducted on Bushist principles, then who would
not like to see the damn thing abolished?

I don't think Ron Paul would have run well in 2000, after Bill Clinton
had demonstrated the ways in which government could contribute to our
prosperity and well-being. Indeed, it was so important for the Right to
destroy Clinton precisely because he did make government relatively
effective and popular.

Ron Paul's popularity does not derive only from his opposition to the
Iraq War. It derives from the sanity of the American people, who love
liberty and reject Bushism. The opposite of fascism is not democracy but
anarchy.

Given how horribly corporations like Walmart treat their employees,
denying them the right to unionize and cleverly avoiding paying anything
toward their health insurance, I have never understood why Libertarians
think corporations would be nicer to us if we could not organize
government protections from them. It is the government of the state of
Maryland that protected workers from Walmart's exploitation of them.
Libertarian faith in the utopia that comes from the withering of the
state strikes me as just as impractical as the similar Marxist theory.

But after 7 years of Bush, I don't find it at all astonishing that large
numbers of internet contributors would give Ron Paul money to campaign
on getting rid of the Frankenstein's Monster of a government that George
W. Bush has been constructing in his macabre basement of a mind.

posted by Juan Cole @ 11/10/2007 06:40:00 AM 24 comments