[Peace-discuss] Ron Paul supports Democratic leadership, votes twice against Kucinich impeachment bill

Michael Shapiro mshapiro51 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:24:30 CST 2007

This is direct from Ron Paul about the impeachment.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/document.php?id=976

Mr. Speaker, I rise, reluctantly, in favor of the motion to table House
Resolution 799, Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United
States, of high crimes and misdemeanors, and in favor of referring that
resolution to the House Judiciary Committee for full consideration. I voted
to table this resolution not because I do not share the gentleman from
Ohio's desire to hold those responsible for the Iraqi debacle accountable;
but rather, because I strongly believe that we must follow established
protocol in matters of such importance. During my entire time in Congress, I
have been outspoken in my opposition to war with Iraq and Iran. I have
warned my colleagues and the administration against marching toward war in
numerous speeches over the years, and I have voted against every
appropriation to continue the war on Iraq.

I have always been strongly in favor of vigorous congressional oversight of
the executive branch, and I have lamented our abrogation of these
Constitutional obligations in recent times. I do believe, however, that this
legislation should proceed through the House of Representatives following
regular order, which would require investigation and hearings in the House
Judiciary Committee before the resolution proceeds to the floor for a vote.
This time-tested manner of moving impeachment legislation may slow the
process, but in the long run it preserves liberty by ensuring that the House
thoroughly deliberates on such weighty matters. In past impeachments of high
officials, including those of Presidents Nixon and Clinton, the legislation
had always gone through the proper committee with full investigation and
accompanying committee report.

I noted with some dismay that many of my colleagues who have long supported
the war changed their vote to oppose tabling the motion for purely political
reasons. That move was a disrespectful to the Constitutional function of
this body and I could not support such actions with my vote.

I was pleased that the House did vote in favor of sending this legislation
to the Judiciary Committee, which essentially directs the committee to
examine the issue more closely than it has done to this point.