[Peace-discuss] God Bless the Senate Republicans

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 17 20:56:04 CST 2007

	God Bless the Senate Republicans
	Sat, 2007-11-17 15:50
	By Mike Ferner

Into every tragically depressing world situation some light must shine
if you wait long enough and the planets align just right.

That glimmer of light came today from, of all places, the Death Star
known by many as Washington, D.C., from deep within one of the most
unfathomable quadrants of that bleakness – the chambers of the United
States Senate. Even more remarkably, it sprang from what some consider a
true black hole – the Republican caucus.

But still it is light, and in these times we need to celebrate every
photon that comes our way.

Today, the Senate voted 53-45, seven votes short of the 60 needed to
advance the bill, against a $50,000,000,000 “supplemental” funding
measure passed earlier this week by the Democratic-controlled House of
Representatives. What the Republicans objected to was the limp,
inconsequential troop withdrawal plan supported by House and Senate
Democrats – something that Groucho Marx would have much more accurately
termed, “a sham of a mockery of a sham.”

The sham-of-a-mockery-of-a-withdrawal that the Republicans just could
not stomach required the president to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq by
December, 2008 – except, that is, for a few thousand to guard the
world’s largest embassy, another ten thousand or so to train Iraqi armed
forces, another ten thousand or so to protect U.S. citizens in Iraq
including those pillars of the community from Blackwater, Inc., and
another ten thousand or so that would be stationed “just beyond the
horizon” ready to squash any resistance to the Iraqi government we leave
behind.

This was the “withdrawal” plan the Democrats wanted in exchange for
another 50 billion dollars to continue the war. To paraphrase the late
Republican Senator Everett Dirksen: “Even though the dollar is rapidly
going down the toilet, pretty soon you’re talking some serious money here.”

To the Senate Republicans I send a warm “thank you” for killing a
$50,000,000,000 cash infusion into this tragic, illegal war.

To the scores of peace activists around the country preparing to occupy
their U.S. Senators’ local offices to press them to vote against more
war funding I say, “Declare victory in this round. And get 10 friends to
occupy those offices with you in February, when the Democrats will feel
compelled to bail out Bush again.”

To MoveOn.org and similar groups whose main purpose in life is toadying
up to the Democratic Party, I say, “Spare us your mobilizations of
well-meaning citizens to bombard the airwaves and street corners with a
‘Damn the Republicans for voting against a timetable to end the war’
message. Leave the internet lines open for more sincere emails like
Nigerian business opportunities and penis patches.”

And to anyone who thinks this too cynical or too hard on our last, best
hope, the Congressional Democrats, I commend this pompous, arrogant,
condescending quote dripping with hubris from a leading Senate liberal,
Carl Levin (D-MI), during today’s Senate debate: “We need to do more
than say to the Iraqis that our patience has run out and that they need
to seize the opportunity that has been given them…Their dawdling will
only end when they have no choice.”

Yes, it’s quite an opportunity we’ve given the Iraqis, Senator Levin…but
then they are such an ungrateful, dawdling lot.

###

Mike Ferner is a freelance writer from Ohio and author of “Inside the
Red Zone: A Veteran For Peace Reports from Iraq.”

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/28791