[Peace-discuss] Thanksgiving???

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sat Nov 17 21:43:48 CST 2007

This will make many uncomfortable. It has analogies to the "Chief"
issue.
What do you think?

From:  http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?
SectionID=30&ItemID=14302

Raining on the Thanksgiving Day parade: “Redefining” the holiday is a
failed project
by Robert Jensen; November 16, 2007

     After years of being constantly annoyed and often angry about
the historical denial built into Thanksgiving Day, I published an
essay in November 2005 suggesting we replace the feasting with
fasting and create a National Day of Atonement to acknowledge the
genocide of indigenous people that is central to the creation of the
United States.

     I expected criticism from right-wing and centrist people, given
their common commitment to this country’s distorted self-image that
supports the triumphalist/supremacist notions about the United States
so common in conventional politics, and I got plenty of such
critique. But I was surprised by the resistance from liberals -- even
some on the left, including a considerable number of my friends.
     The most common argument went something like this: OK, it’s true
that the Thanksgiving Day mythology is rooted in a fraudulent story
-- about the European invaders coming in peace to the “New World,”
eager to cooperate with indigenous people -- which conveniently
ignores the reality of European barbarism in the conquest of the
continent. But we can reject the culture’s self-congratulatory
attempts to rewrite history, I have been told, and come together on
Thanksgiving to celebrate the love and connections among family and
friends.
     The argument that we can ignore the collective cultural
definition of Thanksgiving and create our own meaning in private has
always struck me as odd. This commitment to Thanksgiving puts these
left/radical critics in the position of internalizing one of the
central messages promoted by the ideologues of capitalism -- that
individual behavior in private is more important than collective
action in public. The claim that through private action we can create
our own reality is one of the key tenets of a predatory corporate
capitalism that naturalizes unjust hierarchy, a part of the overall
project of discouraging political struggle and encouraging us to
retreat into a private realm where life is defined by consumption.
     So this November, rather than mount another attack on the
national mythology around Thanksgiving -- a mythology that amounts to
a kind of holocaust denial, and which has been critiqued for many
years by many people -- I want to explore why so many who understand
and accept this critique still celebrate Thanksgiving, and why
rejecting such celebrations sparks such controversy.

     Once we know, what do we do?
     At this point in history, anyone who wants to know this reality
of U.S. history -- that the extermination of indigenous peoples was,
both in a technical legal sense and in common usage, genocide -- can
easily find the resources to know. If this idea is new, I would
recommend two books, David E. Stannard’s American Holocaust: Columbus
and the Conquest of the New World and Ward Churchill’s A Little
Matter of Genocide. While the concept of genocide, which is defined
as the deliberate attempt “to destroy, in whole or in part, a
national, ethnical, racial or religious group,” came into existence
after World War II, it accurately describes the program that
Europeans and their descendants pursued to acquire the territory that
would become the United States of America.
     Once we know that, what do we do? The moral response -- that is,
the response that would be consistent with the moral values around
justice and equality that most of us claim to hold -- would be a
truth-and-reconciliation process that would not only correct the
historical record but also redistribute land and wealth. In the white-
supremacist and patriarchal society in which we live, operating
within the parameters set by a greed-based capitalist system, such a
process is hard to imagine in the short term. So, the question for
left/radical people is: What political activity can we engage in to
keep alive this kind of critique until a time when social conditions
might make a truly progressive politics possible?

     In short: Once we know, what do we do in a world that is not yet
ready to know, or knows but will not deal with the consequences of
that knowledge?
     The general answer to that question is simple, though often
difficult to put into practice: We must keep speaking honestly, as
often as possible, in as many venues as possible. We must resist the
conventional wisdom. We must reject the cultural amnesia. We must
refuse to be polite when politeness means capitulation to lies.
     I have not always been strong enough to meet even these basic
moral obligations. Most of us in positions of unearned privilege and
power would be wise to avoid pontificating about our moral
superiority and political courage, given our routine failures. Can
any of us not point to moments when we went along to get along? Have
any of us done enough to bring our lives in line with the values we
claim to hold?
     Still, we need to help each other tell the truth, even when the
truth is not welcome.
     The illusion of redefining Thanksgiving
     Imagine that Germany won World War II and that a Nazi regime
endured for some decades, eventually giving way to a more liberal
state with a softer version of German-supremacist ideology. Imagine
that a century later, Germans celebrated a holiday offering a
whitewashed version of German/Jewish history that ignored that
holocaust and the deep anti-Semitism of the culture. Imagine that the
holiday provided a welcomed time for families and friends to gather
and enjoy food and conversation. Imagine that businesses, schools and
government offices closed on this day.
     What would we say about such a holiday? Would we not question
the distortions woven into such a celebration? Would we not demand a
more accurate historical account? Would we not, in fact, denounce
such a holiday as grotesque?
     Now, imagine that left/liberal Germans -- those who were
critical of the power structure that created that distorted history
and who in other settings would challenge the political uses of those
distortions -- put aside their critique and celebrated the holiday
with their fellow citizens, claiming to ignore the meaning of the
holiday created by the dominant culture.

     What would we say about such people? Would we not question their
commitment to the principles they claim to hold? Would we not demand
a more courageous politics?

     Comparisons to the Nazis are routinely overused and typically
hyperbolic, but this is directly analogous. These are fair, albeit
painful, questions for all of us.

     Left/liberals who want to claim they are rejecting that European-
supremacist and racist use of Thanksgiving and “redefining” the
holiday in private clearly avoid the obvious: We don’t define
holidays individually -- the idea of a holiday is rooted in its
collective, shared meaning. When the dominant culture defines a
holiday in a certain fashion, one can’t pretend to redefine it in
private. One either accepts the dominant definition or resists it,
publicly and privately.

     Of course people often struggle for control over the meaning of
symbols and holidays, but typically we engage in such battles when we
believe there is some positive aspect of the symbol or holiday worth
fighting for. For example, Christians -- some of whom believe that
Christmas should focus on the values of universal love and world
peace rather than on orgiastic consumption -- may resist that
commercialization and argue in public and private for a different
approach to the holiday. Those people typically continue to celebrate
Christmas, but in ways consistent with those values. In that case,
people are trying to recover and/or reinforce something that they
believe is positive because of values rooted in a historical
tradition. Those folks struggle over the meaning of Christmas because
they believe the core of Christianity is experienced through the
people we touch, not the products we purchase. In that endeavor,
Christians are arguing the culture has gone astray and lost the
positive historical grounding of the holiday.

     But what is positive in the historical events that define
Thanksgiving? What tradition are we trying to return to? I have no
quarrel with designating a day (or days) that would allow people to
take a break from our often manic work routines and appreciate the
importance of community, encouraging all of us to be grateful for
what we have. But if that is the goal, why yoke it to Thanksgiving
Day and a history of celebrating European/white dominance and
conquest? Trying to transform Thanksgiving Day into a true day of
thanksgiving, it seems to me, is possible only by letting go of this
holiday, not by remaining rooted in it. If there were a major shift
in the culture and a majority of people could confront these
historical realities, perhaps the last Thursday in November could be
so transformed. But that shift and transformation are, to say the
least, not yet here.

     For too long, I ignored these troubling questions. To get along,
I went along. I buried my concerns to avoid making trouble. But in
recent years that has become more difficult. So, this year I want to
acknowledge my past failures to raise these issues and commit not
only to renouncing Thanksgiving publicly but also to refusing to
participate in any celebration of it privately.

     The choices: Make people comfortable by engaging or by disengaging
     Obviously there are people in the United States -- indigenous
and otherwise -- who do not celebrate Thanksgiving or who mark it, in
private and/or in public, as a day of mourning.

     http://www.pilgrimhall.org/daymourn.htm

     Also obvious is that there are people who may not have a family
or community with which they celebrate such holidays; it’s important
to remember that there are people on such holidays who are alone and/
or lonely, and to them these political questions may seem irrelevant.
     But for those of us who do get invited to traditional
Thanksgiving Day dinners, how do we remain true to our stated
political and moral principles? I think we have two choices.
     We can go to the Thanksgiving gatherings put on by friends and
family, determined to raise these issues and willing to take the risk
of alienating those who want to enjoy the day without politics. Or,
we can refuse to go to such a gathering and make it known why we’re
not attending, which means taking the risk of alienating those who
want to enjoy the day without politics.
     This year, I’ve decided to disengage and explain why to the
people who invited me. These are people I love, yet who have made a
different decision. My love for them has not diminished, and I trust
the conversation with them about this and other political/moral
questions will continue.
     Once I make that decision, of course I also have the option of
participating in a public event that resists Thanksgiving. I’m not
aware of one happening in my community, and because of commitments to
other political projects I didn’t feel I could organize an effective
event in time for this Thanksgiving Day. But on the assumption that
others may feel this way, I have started thinking about what kind of
public gathering could make such a political statement effectively,
and in the future I hope to find others who are interested in such an
event locally.
     So, what will I do on Thanksgiving Day this year? I’ll probably
spend part of the day alone. Maybe I’ll take a long walk and think
about all this. I’ll try to be kind and decent to the people I bump
into during the day. I’ll miss the company of friends and family who
are gathering, and I’ll try to reflect on why I’ve made this choice
and why this question matters to me. I’ll think about why others made
the choices they made.

     But this year, whatever I do, I won’t celebrate Thanksgiving.
I’m going to let that parade pass me by.
     --------------------------------
     Robert Jensen is a journalism professor at the University of
Texas at Austin and board member of the Third Coast Activist Resource
Center http://thirdcoastactivist.org. His latest book is Getting Off:
Pornography and the End of Masculinity (South End Press, 2007).
Jensen is also the author of The Heart of Whiteness: Race, Racism,
and White Privilege and Citizens of the Empire: The Struggle to Claim
Our Humanity (both from City Lights Books); and Writing Dissent:
Taking Radical Ideas from the Margins to the Mainstream (Peter Lang).
He can be reached at rjensen at uts.cc.utexas.edu and his articles can
be found online at http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~rjensen/index.html.