[Peace-discuss] Letter sent to NY Times

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 11:00:35 CST 2007

Please note Obama's contemptible reference to Hamas and Hizbollah as "terrorists."

  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/opinion/18friedman.html?hp

  Editor,

  Thomas Friedman (11/18) is mistaken to identify Hamas, Hezbollah, Iraqi Shi'ites, and Syria as proxies of Iran, regardless of whatever support they receive. The former three struggle for self-determination, and the latter regime struggles pragmatically for survival amidst Iraqi refugees and U.S. and Israeli threats.

  Freidman proposes a "good cop/bad cop" approach to Iran. The mafioso model implied in this metaphor is plainly immoral. The idea that Iran will cave in to this approach is plainly insane, as would be a resulting invasion if our leaders follow Friedman's prescription, leading to catastrophe. One can only hope that Freidman would rather be guilty of bullying and bluster than even more massive destruction in the region.

  Friedman seems to forget that Iran is neighbor to a country invaded and occupied by our own military, not vice versa.

  David Green