[Peace-discuss] *Meg Miner writes N-G*: IHSA flyers, National Guard & Champaign Police

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Fri Nov 30 11:13:19 CST 2007

Youth can serve U.S. aside from military

Friday November 30, 2007

On Nov. 25 you ran a wire service article about a Maryland-based
recruiter. A National Guard recruiting event took place Saturday at the
IHSA football tournament. It's too bad you couldn't have spent some
journalistic energy on the local recruiting scene.

With written permission from the University of Illinois Police, members
of AWARE (anti-war, anti-racism effort) were in the vicinity of the
Guard's trailer. We were distributing information about military
recruiting that passing high schoolers and their families would not
hear from the Guard, whose mission on Saturday seemed to be challenging
youth to chin-ups and pushups and handing out prizes.

If The News-Gazette had been present, you might have seen AWARE members
being warned of a disturbing the peace charge by Champaign Police and
of the group having names and personal information recorded by the
officers.

I am a Gulf War vet and was with an Iraq and a World War II vet, along
with a handful of peace-promoting civilians. No reasonable person would
view our actions as disturbing the peace. I can only guess the Guard's
recruiters were disturbed by the message on our flyers
(http://tinyurl.com/2v7d6a) and felt that police intimidation would
make us leave. It didn't.

I was in an Air Force recruiting unit before retiring. My message to
local youth is you can serve your country without being in the
military. Our doctrine of pre-emption is clearly a failure. Let's all
promise our service members and our youth to work for better foreign
policy solutions.

  MEG MINER

Mansfield
  Find this article at: