[Peace-discuss] "The War" by Ken Burns

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Sun Oct 7 16:41:14 CDT 2007

Carl,

While your points have validity, both you and John fail to notice one
significant factor.  Ken Burn's work purports to be a historical documentary
while the other works referred to by John are anti-war novels.  Novels make
no claim to historic or "factual" accuracy or any degree of completeness of
perspective and coverage; documentaries do either implicitly or explicitly.

As a side note, it appears to be a characteristic of Americans to take
things out of setting or context and treat them in isolation as
atomistically as possible, ignoring the interconnected and interrelated
aspects within the general context historic or otherwise.  Our esteem for
immediate gratification is only trumped by our lack of historic perspective
and acknowledgement of interdependence.  We also have a propensity to reify
what typically are abstract typifications and treat those typifications as
concrete factual objects and events.  Thus history becomes an ahistoric and
acultural series of finite events rather than an infinite continuum of
ongoing processes and phenomena.  In part, this may stem from the positivist
philosophy that underlies the scientific method and enterprise which the
Western world has totally embraced and popularized as well as the Western
world's (as exemplified by the US) focus on empirical science and practical
engineering and away from theoretical science and analytical interests.