[Peace-discuss] Democrats, not Republicans, want to bomb Iran

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Sun Oct 7 22:21:04 CDT 2007

Is it really a question of "fortitude" or "backbone" as much as a matter of
pragmatic opportunism where the Democrats tailor their verbal acts and
decision-making acts to the different referent audiences that they are
addressing with the sole aim of maintaining or getting their political
office, retaining personal and party power and influence, and/or insuring
future backing by the establishment should they lose in terms of future
consultantships, employment opportunities for themselves of their family
members, revenue generating opportunities, and other perks.  My take is that
it is question of playing the duplicity card in a pragmatic political game
where neither fortitude or backbone really matter as much as being able to
maintain a straight face and showing skill at playing the competitive game.
Backbone and fortitude presume some conviction and principle.

As for the quote from the article (""But," the former official went on,
"Cheney doesn't give a rat's ass about the Republican worries, and neither
does the President.""), I do not think it was intended to be taken as
hyperbole to make a point but was a literal and accurate description.  I
would say that this is probably both Cheney's and Bush's last hurrah; so
other than possibly legacy concerns, they do not give a shit about future
elections and their fellow Republicans.