[Peace-discuss] Democrats, not Republicans, want to bomb Iran

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 8 12:25:37 CDT 2007

> I think that that is the crucial point.

>> They basically care not one wit for the deaths of those people over there, even the Americans, and the destruction to be wrought.

PBS's "The War" had an episode (which I saw aired Sunday October 7 on Channel 12) that mentions several costly battles of WWII that had no need to be fought. In one unauthorized diary that is read during this episode, one marine suddenly realized that the lives of the troops were insignificant to those running the war.

Last week, while we waited in the Shannon Ireland airport for our flight, we shared the waiting area with about 100 US troops on their way to Iraq. As the men and women in their "day desert"-colored camouflage collectively left the waiting area to move on to the next area of the airport, a small group of older Americans stood and applauded them. And I asked myself how so many people could be so trusting. Don't they realize that the majority of the politicians consider all these people to be insignificant? And that by applauding these individuals, they are actually contradicting what the administration sees as the role of these troops -- disposable pawns?

-karen medina