[Peace-discuss] "The War" by Ken Burns

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 8 12:50:56 CDT 2007

In the same spirit  as that of Ricky, I attach what I wrote in my own
personal diary, just after seeing the Burns series.

Reflections on the Ken Burns  War on PBS

Watched all seven episodes, trying to fit what I saw there on what I
remembered of the “good” war. The start was promising, stating that
WWII was not a good war, but was a necessary war. However, as the
series progressed I became disappointed. It ended up glorifying our
battle, our good guys, our guys of conscience that had to do their
job even if it meant killing civilians. Of course, there were scenes
of the horrors committed by the “Japs” and the Nazis, which
reinforced the theme that the war was fought for moral and humane
reasons. But there was little analysis of other reasons for the war
and why we had to bomb cities, destroying them and their inhabitants.
The worst part, the last episode of the series, concerned the bombing
of Japan. They made the case through prisoners of war and those who
fought on the brutal Pacific campaigns that if Japan had to be
invaded, it would be hugely costly in American lives, and that the
Japanese were fanatic, would never surrender. And our prisoners of
war in Japan would all be killed. Ergo, the bombs had to be dropped,
Hiroshima and Nagasaki [i.e. the bombing] were unfortunate but
needed. Nothing was said for other motivations for dropping the bomb.
No questions or analysis, whereas now we know that the Japanese would
have surrendered if only we had let Hirohito remain emperor. Should
this not have been mentioned? There was no discussion of the racism
that wars engender, that Japanese or German (civilian) lives were as
valuable as American ones. That Tokyo, Dresden, Hiroshima, Nagasaki,
… were atrocities equivalent to those committed by our enemies was
never considered. They said Hiroshima was a transportation hub, hence
a reasonable target! They also said we had only two bombs---implying
that dropping them for demonstration purposes would not have been
practical (despite the suggestions of prominent scientists of Los
Alamos that they do just that, also not mentioned), and that it would
have taken many months to fabricate others after Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I was suspicious for the reasons why this series was now shown. To
support our troops now, veterans day soon, to show that despite what
they do, they are all honorable men? Burns said that it had to be
done now, because the survivors of the war were dying off, and we
should document what they went through from their own words.

  I was left with a feeling of dissonance: Yes, WWII may have been
necessary—we were attacked—but as was graphically illustrated, war
makes (too many of) its warriors (as well as its civilians) monsters.
They lose their empathy for others under the stress of combat, with
their sense of duty to their superiors or to support their buddies.
We have since learned that U.S motives belie the pretended good
arguments of our leaders. What they care about is power, and
maintaining a status quo which keeps them in power, whatever the
costs to human life and society. No war or foreign action the U.S.
has engaged in since WQWII has had any decent excuse. On the contrary!

Hence I found it difficult to absorb the messages of this TV series,
even while I was fascinated with the battle scenes, was moved by the
personal stories,  and recalled what life was like on the home front.

On Oct 8, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

> [...]
>> policies
>> following German's defeat in World War I led inexorably to the
>> rise of the
>> Nazis, etc., etc. - I think it would be the rare viewer who
>> emerges from
>> the documentary thinking that War Is a Good Thing.  It would be nice,
>> perhaps, if those infantry soldiers could, while recounting the
>> horrors of
>> the Bataan Death March, give us at the same time a succinct
>> lecture on the
>> Rise of Japanese Hegemony Caused by America's 'Discovery' of China
>> in the
>> mid-19th Century.  But that's another documentary for another day.
>>
>> Yeah, we do get a certain sense from Burns' film that World War II
>> - given
>> the unexplained confluence of myriad historical events that led up
>> to that
>> "day that shall live in infamy", granted - was a War That Had to
>> Be Fought,
>> relatively speaking.  But we still know, at the end of the film,
>> that War
>> Is a Bad Thing, to be avoided at all costs if possible.
>>

>>> As a side note, it appears to be a characteristic of Americans to
>>> take
>>> things out of setting or context and treat them in isolation as
>>> atomistically as possible, ignoring the interconnected and
>>> interrelated
>>> aspects within the general context historic or otherwise.
>>
>> It may be a characteristic of Americans, but it also seems to be a
>> function
>> of being human - the quality of existential aloneness.  What did I do
>> earlier this evening, Laurie, and how is that going to affect your
>> life in
>> the weeks and months to come?
>>

>>> Our esteem for
>>> immediate gratification is only trumped by our lack of historic
>>> perspective
>>> and acknowledgement of interdependence.  We also have a
>>> propensity to reify
>>> what typically are abstract typifications and treat those
>>> typifications as
>>> concrete factual objects and events.  Thus history becomes an
>>> ahistoric and
>>> acultural series of finite events rather than an infinite
>>> continuum of
>>> ongoing processes and phenomena.
>>
>> Or else it becomes an infinite continuum of ongoing processes and
>> phenomena
>> which are interpreted in radically different ways by different
>> people, as
>> different aspects of the continuum are emphasized or de-emphasized
>> by said
>> individuals.  The five blind men and the elephant come to mind.
>>

>>> In part, this may stem from the positivist
>>> philosophy that underlies the scientific method and enterprise
>>> which the
>>> Western world has totally embraced and popularized as well as the
>>> world's (as exemplified by the US) focus on empirical science and