[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 10 23:57:18 CDT 2007

Similar to the argument that has been made that MLK's strategy was effective
only because Malcolm X and the Black Panthers stood in the background, it
has been plausibly argued that Gandhi was effective and able to obtain his
goal after a long period of time because there were others willing to engage
in violence and disruptive actions standing in relief to Gandhi.

I did not know that it was peace demonstrations that gained India its
independence from Britain.  As far as I have been told, it was both
non-violent and violent demonstrations, riots, general strikes, and actions
along with many acts of civil disobedience in support of INDEPENDENCE - not
peace - that eventually brought about the exit of the British and the
obtaining of independent status as a sovereign nation.