[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Thu Oct 11 16:28:43 CDT 2007

>You are correct in that civil disobedience and using violence are two
different tactics

Actually the distinction is much to generic and broad and hides a number of
different tactics.  First, violence can be against property or against
individual and/or both. One may place different values on each of the two
types of violence.  Is breaking a window or burning a building equal to
hitting, tasering, pepper spraying, wounding, or killing a person?  Is
violence against an individual always unjustified even in cases of self
defense or protection against current or future threatening acts that might
cause physical or mental harm to one's self or those that one represents?

Second, civil disobedience does not preclude all forms of violence
(depending of course on how and what one defines as violence).  Tearing up
paving blocks from a sidewalk or road so as to destroy that walk or road and
prevent its further use can be considered a violent action against property
just as blowing up a facility that house research that contributes to the
harm or death of others; is such actions which only do harm to the property
and not to any persons a form of civil disobedience.

 What is civil disobedience the polar opposite of; would it be "criminal
disobedience," "impolite disobedience," or "violent" disobedience? And what
is criminal disobedience?  What is "uncivil disobedience"? What is "violent
disobedience"? Is passive resistance where an official injures themselves by
carrying the passive resister an instance of violence being done to the
official as a result of an act of the protester?"  Is opening the valves to
an oil storage tank containing fuel destined for a war zone a violent act of
disobedience or an act of civil disobedience since it destroys the oil and
possibly the environment including the potential of creating a future health
hazard for people and animals?

In short the use of these terms glosses over many differences and hides the
subtleties of the concrete details of the situations and actions.

>Personally I prefer the civil disobedience route, yet it seems like we are
sporting blinders in regards to our own history >of violence. The United
States was founded on the concept of violence and expansion was done through
dishonest >and violent means. The concept of obtaining 'freedom and liberty'
through taking up arms is one that is deeply >ingrained in the culture here
and that is something that can't be ignored.

Excellent point; and it is made more important when one recognizes violence
and the threat of it tend to be the only language that many people -
especially those who make up the establishment - understand and respond to.
Violence or the threat of it as a backdrop for any non-violent actions
represents the possibility of disorder - and order is the thing that the
establish wants more than anything else and will go to great lengths to
achieve by oppression or negotiation.