[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:00:29 CDT 2007

> Second, I find you position interesting in that any action can inadvertently
> result in inadvertent violence to a person; I have to wonder what is left.
> What do you define as the defining line?  Walking a picket line with a sign
> on a stick can inadvertently stab someone or poke someone's eye out.  I do
> not think that the possibility of inadvertent violence is a good
> definitional standard. If it were, than one could logically argue that mere
> peaceful demonstrations by some could inadvertently provoke inadvertent
> violence by others who may join the protesters, who might be observing the
> demonstrators, or who oppose the demonstrations; thus, they should not be
> undertaking.

This is a ridiculous reductio ad absurdum, wherein one imagines an improbable worst case scenario as plausible, and thus as a reason against a particular action.

The border line between violence and non violence was probably most significantly threaded by the Weather Underground, who bombed public buildings when they were empty, taking careful precaution to never injure or kill anyone.
Were their actions justifiable as a means of protest against war and imperialism?

I would say for the most part "no," though I have a great admiration for their repeated blasting of the police memorial placed in the old Haymarket square in Chicago.

-
mer