[Peace-discuss] N-G: Jena Six volunteer to be part of Unity March

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Fri Oct 12 14:43:36 CDT 2007

Jena Six volunteer to be part of Unity March
By Paul Wood

Friday October 12, 2007

CHAMPAIGN – An investigator on the racially charged Jena Six case in
Lousiana will be here this weekend as part of C-U Citizens for Peace
and Justice's Unity March.

A retired union organizer and part-time investigator for the Chicago
public defenders' office, Terry Davis served as an investigator on the
Mychal Bell legal team for three weeks and expects to go back in
November.

Davis, whose visit is co-sponsored by the Urban League of Champaign
County, will be at the Urban League at 314 S. Neil St., C, at 7 p.m.
today.

She will also be present for the Unity March at noon Saturday.

That march starts from two points – the front of the Champaign County
Courthouse in Urbana and West Side Park in Champaign.

The two groups will meet at University Avenue and Wright Street, then
march north to Douglass Park, 512 E. Grove St., C.

The Jena Six are six black teenagers charged with beating a white
teenager in Jena, La., in December 2006 after racially charged
incidents there.

The six were initially charged with attempted second-degree murder and
conspiracy to commit second-degree murder.

"I went down there because it sounded to me like the kids were not
given a fair chance by the legal system – and I didn't change my mind,"
Davis said Thursday.

Bell, the only member of the "Jena Six" to be tried so far, has had his
convictions set aside on appeal on the grounds that he should have been
tried as a juvenile.

Bell was released on bail Sept. 27.

"In reading the transcript of Mychal Bell's first trial, not a single
witness was presented for him; it was clear that the judge and district
attorney were pretty openly assisting each other," Davis said.

Davis said she was dismayed by the attitudes she encountered in
Louisiana.

"I hadn't realized probably how difficult it would be in Jena, the
social pressure. I don't think the good people of Jena see themselves
as racist, most of them ... they don't perceive it," she said.

But institutionalized racism is not limited to Southern states, Davis
said.

"Statistics show that minority kids are given much harder discipline in
school, and it's pretty well-established that the penalties for crack
cocaine (sales and possession) are worse than for powder cocaine. A lot
of these things are systemic," she said.

"Here in Illinois, we incarcerate huge numbers of minorities."

An appreciation dinner honoring Champaign County Board member Catherine
Hogue, D-Champaign, and labor organizer Robert Wahlfeldt will follow
the march at 3:30 p.m.
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/2007/10/12/
jena_six_volunteerto_be_part_of_event