[Peace-discuss] Rethinking Oct. 27

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 03:28:04 CDT 2007

The bold statement that violence (and I meant towards human beings) has never accomplished anything admirable was to mean that human progress (defined in the traditional liberal democratic way) has generally come about through peaceful change i.e. the human rights discourse, women's suffrage, the right to collectively bargain for workers, the 40 hour work week, the end of the death penalty in all civilized countries . . .

The end of slavery, nazism and fascism were violent processes because they were a continuation of the system that was being de-constructed. Slavery was obviously a very violent and demeaning industry which naturally resulted in a violent resistance to progress. In other words, slavery itself was a war . . an ongoing war against people of color that culminated in an officially declared war between liberators and enslavers ( and yes, the Civil War was about slavery, first and foremost, despite what revisionists might argue . . )

The "reductio ad absurdum" I talked about was your claim that marching with signs could be construed as violence because one could possibly use the stick as a weapon. This ridiculous statement echoes police paranoia that I have witnessed at numerous protests wherein signs were taken away from peaceful protesters for that very reason. This is a police provocation and not one that ought be embraced by someone pretending to be a peace activist.

Furthermore, when I speak of violence, I am not excluding vandalism. I, for one, have vandalized public and private property as a form of activism and I do not regret it at all. Back in my late high school days, I was part of a group of activists that would resist the gentrification of Chicago's far north side by bricking the new Starbucks opening up in these uniquely diverse communities (when they were closed and no one was inside . . ).

Lastly, The United States was most assuredly founded on violence, and that probably goes a long way in explaining why it is easily the most morally despicable of all of the "western democracies."
 I, for one, don't actually consider the United States to be a developed western democracy because it lacks a system of universal health care and a system of universal higher education, which are two extraordinarily important pillars to democracy throughout Western Europe. What's more, the nation has fallen into a police state in recent years, wherein police departments have completely morphed into mini-Gestapos with almost no oversight. Further, they are backed by a generation (mine) that greatly admires the persona of the simple-minded, hard nosed, totalitarian goon.

-mer