[Peace-discuss] re: foreclosure prevention and Champaign City Council's view on the poor

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Wed Oct 17 15:43:18 CDT 2007

> The referendum is coming up soon. We really need to get the word out.

What referendum?  Who is conducting it under what auspices and when?  Is
this a non-binding advisory advocacy referendum or an official binding one?

> I wonder if groups like "Habitat for Humanity" and "Center for Women in
> Transition" might be good places to contact about the City of
> Champaign's current stands on the issues of section-8, funds for
> General Assistance, and the police review board.

What sorts of things would you or anyone else expect to gain by contacting
them - support, assistance in getting the word out, new information and
arguments to present to the public and the City Council of Champaign
concerning the issues that they have already decided so as to try and get
them to reopen the questions, volunteers to canvas the neighborhoods to get
out the vote for the referendum, or something different?

While some of these issues are interrelated; others are not; and many people
in the public see each as separate and independent issues such that they
relate to one or a few but not all the issues.  I suspect that the groups
you mention would relate to Section 8 and General Assistance issues more
than to police civilian review board issues; moreover, they would probably
have a position that was specific to how the issue impacts on their
organizations and their clients.  Such information and documentation may be
useful for future battles; but it probably will not do anything to change
the current council positions.

Research by a credentialed official governmental or University source that
has studied the City of Champaign and its economy via a systematic
scientific study showing the economic impact on the community and financial
costs to the City with respect to the City's changes in the Section 8
policy, General Assistance funds for the Township, and other issues of
concern would probably be more effective and persuasive if you catch the
Council members in a rational and non-ideological mood.  Being conservative
capitalists, they will be reluctant to support anything that will raise
municipal costs to the taxpayer or especially the developers and major
stakeholders - especially if it gets a lot of publicity.

If the people who are negatively affected by their actions and policies
should happen to buy ads and write letters and articles to the national
press telling how this is a bad community to move to for businesses and
individuals because of the impact of the actions of the City Council with
respect to creation of additional costs, reduction in money for beneficial
social programs, increased numbers of homeless on the streets and unemployed
begging on the street corners, etc., I suspect you will get a reaction form
the Council and that they will revisit the issues again to get the national
press off their backs and present a positive image to businesses.