[Peace-discuss] Anti-war legislation in Congress

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 20 22:37:28 CDT 2007

[Here's a note from <antiwar.com>, about anti-war legislation in
Congress.  It contrasts with the pro-war positions of the Democratic
liberals.  I'd be happy to see Clinton, Obama, Edwards et al. support
it, but I don't expect that: their positions are substantially to the
right of Paul's. --CGE]

This week Ron Paul introduced the ‘American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007′
to roll back the power of the federal government by restoring support
for the US Constitution.

The bill would, among other things, repeal the Military Commissions Act
of 2006, prohibits “extraordinary rendition,” and the use of secret
evidence.

Ron Paul spoke on the floor of the House when he introduced the bill.

The driving force behind the legislation are two groups: the
conservative American Freedom Agenda and the liberal American Freedom
Campaign. Naomi Wolf wrote about the bill.

We urge everyone to contact their representatives to support this bill.

	October 21, 2007
	Support the American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007
	by Rep. Ron Paul

I am introducing a comprehensive piece of legislation to restore the
American Constitution and to restore the liberties that have been sadly
eroded over the past several years.

This legislation seeks to restore the checks and balances enshrined in
the Constitution by our Founding Fathers to prevent abuse of Americans
by their government. This proposed legislation would repeal the Military
Commissions Act of 2006 and re-establish the traditional practice that
military commissions may be used to try war crimes in places of active
hostility where a rapid trial is necessary to preserve evidence or
prevent chaos.

The legislation clarifies that no information shall be admitted as
evidence if it is obtained from the defendant through the use of torture
or coercion. It codifies the FISA process as the means by which foreign
intelligence may be obtained and it gives members of the Senate and the
House of Representatives standing in court to challenge presidential
signing statements that declares the president’s intent to disregard
certain aspects of a law passed in the US Congress. It prohibits
kidnapping and extraordinary rendition of prisoners to foreign countries
on the president’s unilateral determination that the suspect is an enemy
combatant. It defends the first amendment by clarifying that journalists
are not to be prevented from publishing information received from the
legislative or executive branch unless such publication would cause
immediate, direct, and irreparable harm to the United States .

Finally, the legislation would prohibit the use of secret evidence to
designate an individual or organization with a United States presence to
be a foreign terrorist or foreign terrorist organization.

I invite my colleagues to join my efforts to restore the US Constitution
by enacting the American Freedom Agenda Act of 2007.

  Find this article at:
http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=11790