[Peace-discuss] Neocon triumph

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:31:13 CDT 2007

[The upmarket New York Sun assesses the antiwar movement.  --CGE]

	End of a Movement
	BY ELI LAKE
	October 24, 2007

The People. United. Can in fact be defeated. Well not exactly, but this
must be what America's anti-war movement is thinking as Congress and the
president iron out the funding for the war with no danger of the
Democrats attaching a withdrawal date to the bill. The Dems don't have
the votes.

It's enough to deflate the spirits of our nation's most hardened
pacifists. Take Medea Benjamin, the leader of Code Pink, an association
of mainly senior citizen women who dress up and shout slogans at
Congressional war hearings. In an interview in the current issue of
Mother Jones, Ms. Benjamin said that she doubted that the troops would
be withdrawn even within a year's time. "Well, I think it's kind of
silly to talk about it because it's just not going to happen," she said.
Code Pink now is hoping to end the war by the end of 2008.

It's an extraordinary statement for the leader of an organization that
produced a YouTube ad last month featuring women in pink jockey outfits
riding Democratic leaders of Congress like they were horses. The
narrator tells the viewer: "With your help we can dominate Congress with
peacemakers and finally end this illegal, immoral and unconstitutional
occupation." Apparently the plan for peacemaker domination has run into
some snags.

As the Hill newspaper reported on October 19, the legislative
representative of American Against Escalation in Iraq, John Bruhns, a
former Army Sergeant who participated in the 2003 invasion, has left the
organization. "I feel I've done all I can," he told the newspaper. "I
can't continue to attack members of Congress to pass legislation that
isn't going to get passed."

Mr. Bruhns had worked on something the anti-war movement called "Iraq
Summer," an initiative aimed at getting 50 Republicans to break with the
president on the war. That goal seemed plausible in July when the former
chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, John Warner, was
threatening to vote with Democrats on withdrawal dates. But in September
Mr. Warner said that arguing for some troops to come home by Christmas
barely changed the ayes and nays in the senate.

The anti-war movement has not even managed to get any of the big three
Democrats running for president to embrace their goal of an immediate
withdrawal. Gone are John Edwards' rhetorical excesses of the spring,
promising not to leave even Marines to guard the new American embassy in
Baghdad.

Today Mr. Edwards, like Senators Obama and Clinton, concede that in
their administration there will still be some troops in Iraq in 2009,
probably between 50,000 and 70,000. Also, the Democratic party's
professional agitators must know that Mrs. Clinton will sprout wings and
talons and screech for the blood of every Iranian terrorist as soon as
she receives her party's nomination, faster than you can say, "Sistah
Souljah."

The peaceniks need only blame themselves for their failures. They are
asking Americans to believe not that the war was a blunder, so much that
the war was a sin; that the decapitators and car bombers of innocents
are a resistance; that the army seeking to prevent ethnic cleansing
today is in fact responsible for it. [That is what the "peaceniks" are
saying, and they're right.  --CGE]

In 2006, writing about how the antiwar movement was conducting its own
diplomacy in London and Amman to meet members of the "Sunni Resistance,"
anti-war writer Robert Dreyfuss summed up the moral equivalency that
afflicts so many in his quarter.

"Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in Iraq?" he asked. "Are
the good guys the U.S. troops fighting to impose American hegemony in
the Gulf? Are the good guys the American forces who have installed a
murderous Shiite theocracy in Baghdad? Are the good guys the Marines who
murdered children and babies in Haditha in cold blood?"

Leaving aside the deficient moral reasoning of the case the protestors
make, their story of the war also makes for terrible politics. Most
Americans do want to end a war they believe America is losing, but they
don't suffer from the delusion that Iraqis would be better off if the
Shiite and Sunni death cults took power after our soldiers left.

It is a prospect the activists for now would rather not broach. Kevin
Martin of Peace Action in Mother Jones said it wasn't even for the
"peace community" to come up with a contingency plan to prevent
competitive genocide after a withdrawal. "In my organization and the
umpteen antiwar coalitions that I am in, this is in no way a priority
that we think about or talk about," he said.

Later on he added, "We are not responsible for dreaming up a perfect
world. We are responsible for trying to end the damn war and putting the
political pressure on our government, which is extremely difficult when
you have a feeble Congress and a dictator president."

He is right that his current struggle is "extremely difficult." It is
extremely difficult to expect most Americans to believe that their
president is a dictator and that their soldiers are no different than
terrorists. The fact that Congress is not buying this pack of lies
however is evidence not of the legislature's feebleness, but of the
nation's strength.

elake at nysun.com

October 24, 2007 Edition