[Peace-discuss] Article from TruthOut.

Laurie Solomon Laurie at advancenet.net
Tue Oct 30 14:37:16 CDT 2007

The article below obtained from Truthout may be of interest to some and may
furnish a basis for optimism for some (which I believe to be false optimism
at best and not very realistic).  In reading it, I found myself asking of
the comparative analysis if this was not what was being suggested in one
form or another back in the sixties about how it was the advent of a new
progressive era that would lead to revolution and a major change in society
and culture, bringing new peace, freedom, and justice.

Here we are in the 2000's. There has been change but toward the conservative
end of the spectrum in response to the 1960's.  One has to wonder if the
reaction to the current conservative trends will not be a "progressive"
reaction that at best will bring us back to what things were in the more
progressive past but not anywhere near a revolution or even a new
progressive era the extends any earlier progressive eras.

The 50-Year Strategy: A New Progressive Era (No, Really!)
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/103007D.shtml

Simon Rosenberg and Peter Leyden, reporting for Mother Jones, ask, "Beyond
'08: Can progressives play for keeps?"