[Peace-discuss] Reflections by Paul Street

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Tue Sep 11 17:42:26 CDT 2007

Maybe we should again invite Paul Street back…
Do we have a University of Illinois Antiwar committee to match that
of Iowa?
--mkb

You Can Make a Difference: an Antiwar Speech

by Paul Street; September 11, 2007

Iowa City

College Green Park
September 9, 2007
Peace Fest

Thank you Iowans for Sensible Priorities and University of Iowa
Antiwar Committee for inviting me to speak.

We are coming up on the sixth anniversary of 9/11 and in the so-
called mainstream media pundits are asking when we will have finally
and sufficiently commemorated the jetliner attacks of 2001.

I have a different question.  I want to know when enough Iraqi people
will have died and when enough Afghan people will have died and when
enough U.S. soldiers will have died at the hands of an American
Empire whose chief operatives exploited 9/11 as an opening to
escalate their quest for global dominance.  Those operatives and
their allies are still using 9/11 as an opportunity to silence
dissent and deepen inequality at home.

As many of you know, tomorrow David Patraeus, the leading U.S.
General in Iraq and a man in whom George W. Bush says he’s placed his
trust...in two days Patraeus is going to report on the supposed
"progress" of the war on Iraq.

I think it is highly offensive that the Bush administration chose
this anniversary period as the time when Congress and the nation is
supposed to respectfully listen to Patraeus testify in support of
this senseless policy.

It is offensive because of course Iraq had nothing to do with al
Qaeda or 9/11.

It’s offensive because the Bush administration and its many enablers
used 9/11 as a false pretext for launching what most of the world
knows to have been a monumentally illegal and significantly oil-
motivated invasion of that country.

And it’s offensive because this criminal occupation is fueling the
fires of the very Islamic rage that gave rise to 9/11 and which will
certainly generate future terrorist attacks on Americans at home and
abroad.

We’ve already got a pretty good sense of what’s going to happen with
Field Marshall Patraeus' big trip home. Patraeus is going to betray
us and serve his political masters by telling Congress and the
American people that “the Surge” is “working.”  By this he will mean
to say that Washington’s escalation of the illegal and immoral war of
aggression against Iraq is “reducing violence in Iraq.”

And the Democrats or at least most of them are going to fall in
line.  They'll make some noise and pound their chests a little but
they're basically going to go along to get along.  They’ll play ball
with the Escalation, hold their breath and wait for the first Tuesday
in November in 2008, continuing their betrayal of the popular antiwar
sentiment they rode to majority power in the Congress last November.

As Paul Krugman noted in the New York Times last Friday, “Democrats
will look at Patraeus’ uniform and medals and fall into their usual
cringe.  They won’t ask hard questions out of the fear that someone
might accuse them of attacking the military.  After the testimony,
they’ll desperately try to get Republicans to agree to resolution
that politely asks President Bush to maybe, possibly withdraw some
troops, if he feels like it” (Krugman, “A Time to Take a Stand,” New
York Times, 7 September, 2007. p.A29).

Never mind that the Invasion is a monumental, mass-murderous war-
crime.  More than simply a “mistake,” it a great and brazenly
imperial transgression that has killed probably a million Iraqis by
now along with a US GI body count that has long ago surpassed the
9/11 death toll.

Never mind that this crime has been sold on criminally fraudulent
grounds from the beginning – from the false claims on “weapons of
mass destruction” to the absurd claim that the U.S. invaded to export
democracy and freedom to the preposterous claim that we are reducing
violence and preventing civil war in Iraq.

Never mind that the violence is actually NOT abating in Iraq.
“Estimates based on morgue, hospital and police records suggest that
the daily number of civilian deaths is [now] almost twice its average
pace from last year…A recent assessment by the nonpartisan Government
Accountability Office [finds] no decline in the average number of
daily attacks” (Krugman, “A Time”)

Never mind that General Patraeus has a well-known history of “making
wildly overoptimistic assessments of [so-called] progress in
Iraq” (Krugman).

Never mind that Republicans will accuse Democrats of being
unpatriotic and soft on National Security no matter what the
Democrats actually do.  As Krugman notes, “Democrats gave Mr. Bush
everything he wanted in 2002; their reward was a [campaign] ad
attacking Max Cleland, who lost both legs and an arm in Vietnam, that
featured images of Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.”

Never mind that any plan that depends on Dick Cheney or George W.
Bush “recognizing reality” is a total fantasy.  Bush and Cheney are
committed messianic militarists who actually think they can make
reality up as the go murderously along. Bush probably seriously
believes God has told him to wage an epic war against the people and
nations of the Middle East.

And never mind that the American public hates the Iraq war and wants
to see it ended as quickly as possible. As Krugman notes, “the
American people are disgusted with the Democrats not because they
think congressional leaders are too liberal, but because they don’t
see Congress doing anything to stop the war."  The majority
Demcoratic Congress's approval rating is actually lower than Bush's
because of this great failure.

Anybody who thinks that we’re going to make everything okay and end
the war and create peace and justice in Iraq and world by getting
Democrats into power in Washington...anybody who thinks that needs a
serious reality check.  Osama bin Laden may be a vicious
fundamentalist mass murderer, but he was unfortunately correct when
he told the American people last week that the Democrats have done
nothing substantively really to end the war.  They’ve continued to
fund it all along.

And I’m sorry to say this too, but bin-Laden – butcher that he may be
– was right when he said that the Democrats are beholden to the same
military industrial corporations that do so much to influence the
Republicans in the direction of permanent war.

If he’d wanted to get really radical, bin-Laden could have gone
further; he could have pointed out that the Bush doctrine of
aggressive and unilateral interventionism is a very bipartisan
affair.  The Democratic Party has long participated in the
development of the doctrine over many years strategic imperial
planning.   They might cast themselves as alternatives to President
Bush, the fact is that prevailing Democratic doctrine is not that
different from the Bush-Cheney doctrine.  Many Democrats, including
senators who voted to authorize the war in Iraq, have long embraced
the idea of a militaristic foreign policy based on American global
supremacy and the presumed right to intervene wherever and whenever
the U.S. sees fit.

The ongoing four and a half year Iraq invasion is so bipartisan it’s
not funny.

That’s part of why I encourage everybody here to take a properly
skeptical attitude towards the upcoming presidential and
congressional elections that we know so much about in Iowa because of
the early Caucuses. I happen to agree with Noam Chomsky that we
shouldn’t ignore American elections.  We should pay attention to the
admittedly all-too limited spectrum of choices made available to us
under the American system and try to make reasonably sensible choices
on which candidates will do the least harm.  And we should not forget
that one of the two business parties – the Republicans – is openly
and strongly committed to “dismantling and destroying whatever
progressive legislation and social welfare has been won by popular
struggles over the last century.”

But at the same time, we should not think for one second that these
limited-spectrum elections – especially limited in the realm of
foreign policy – ought to be the primary focus of our political
activities. As Chomsky notes, “the urgent task for those who want to
shift policy in a progressive direction is to grow and become strong
enough so that they can’t be ignored by centers of power.  Forces for
change that have come from the grass roots and shaken the society to
its core include the labor movement, the civil rights movement, the
peace movement, the women’s movement and others, cultivated by
steady, dedicated work at all levels, every day, not just once every
four years...The main task it create a genuinely responsive
democratic culture, and that effort goes on before and after
electoral extravaganzas, whatever their outcome” (Noam Chomsky,
Interventions [San Francisco: City Lights, 2007], pp. 97-100).

Don’t believe the bullshit artists in the dominant media and in the
university world.  Don’t believe the know-it-all politicians and
pundits and professors who tell you that your beliefs and actions are
irrelevant when you struggle against this current war and the broader
empire and global economic system of which this war is just one
expression. Don’t believe them when they tell you that weighty
matters like U.S. foreign policy are beyond your meaningful sphere of
knowledge and influence.

All of us have the power before we leave to make the world a better
place than when we entered it.  All of us have the power to fight
meaningfully and significantly for peace, justice, freedom and
democracy. We especially have that power when we act with others in
solidarity, when we collectively resist concentrated power in
organized, democratic and militant ways, remembering that popular
government derives its only legitimate authority from the people and
that the people, united can never be defeated. Thank you.

Paul Street is the author of Empire and Inequality: America and the
World Since 9/11 (Boulder, CO: Paradigm, 2004).  Street's latest book
is Racial Oppression in the Global Metropolis (New York: Rowman &
Littlefield, 2007). Street can be reached at paulstreet99 at yahoo.com