[Peace-discuss] PBS Program: "America at a Crossroads: Inside the American Empire"

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 03:52:10 CDT 2007

      Hello AWARE friends,

  Saw program Mon 9/3 on PBS (it should have been on Fox News)  about US's empire (yes, that the term they used, it's even in the title!) It was so blatent and matter-of fact: of COURSE (the show told us) the US is EVERYWHERE protecting "our interests" in this or that "oil-rich" country, which is necessary and justified because the US is ENTITLED to control everything, profit from everything, just as England, France, and Spain, etc were when they were building THEIR empires...

  The military folks directly involved refer to the locals as "injuns" and the terrain as "injun country" because it's just like settling the US's frontier (which the white folks were entitled and obligated to do).

  WE know this is how the US functions, but it was shocking and APPALLING to see how open the producers were about it. Also given were explanation and examples of how the US wins the PR war -- give the natives cheap eye glasses, e g  ...

  Right after that downer I watched some slick suits on C-SPAN talking about who "we" (the US) will give Iraq's oil to -- not the Iraqi's of course, and of course it is NOT the Iraqis' decision who gets their oil...

  As I said, it was so blatent, out in the open and matter of fact. It's too big, too powerful, too entrenched, too awful... I was really overwhelmed. Hoped if I watched the rest of Amy Goodman, recorded earlier, she might throw me a straw which I would most gratefully grasp.

  Did anyone else catch this show by any chance?

  Jenifer