[Peace-discuss] Insurgents yet again

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 14 14:11:08 CDT 2007

John Wason wrote "the American Indians WERE considered 'insurgents' by the
white settlers."

This is what I was responding too. I claim that white folks who settled on
land that was Indian by treaty knew very well that they were taking what
was not legally theirs. I wouldn't say that the settlers considered the
Indians insurgents, but rather that they considered them inferior, and even
worse thought it acceptable to take advantage of someone considered
inferior. Welcome to Social Darwinism 101.

I think the PBS program's use of the word "insurgent" regarding the Indian
was an abnormal use of English, and is a part of the ongoing effort to
militarize all ethics and politics.

The consistent use of "insurgent" and "sectarian violence" in describing
what is going on in Iraq papers over all important distinctions regarding
the violence and explains nothing. They are a part of the verbal fog used
to hide the real issues.

Bob