[Peace-discuss] The Clinton/Bush generation

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue Sep 18 22:39:43 CDT 2007

> There are few things more disgusting in contemporary US politics than

> a Democrat slavering for a Clinton Restoration.  Bush is in fact a

> thoroughly worthy purveyor of the Clinton legacy, as Bill Clinton

> himself was of Bush I/Reagan. A pox on both their houses. --CGE]

As for me, I think that there is nothing more disgusting than U.S. politics
in general - both contemporary and past historic U.S. politics.  Even in the
good old days when and if the Democrats represented labor and the poor while
the Republicans represented the wealthy and business; all were pragmatic
supporters of the established order who were essentially reformers who
sought changes on the periphery and never question basic premises.  Now that
labor unions have become corporate organizations with large organizational
bureaucracies of their own just like big business and have similar vested
interests in maintaining the establishment values and power structures as
long as they see themselves as getting their fair share of the power and
booty, we have a circulation of elites as described by political theorists
like Parato, Mosca, and Schumpeter where only the names of the parties are
changed to protect the guilty.

In America everyone seeks to become petty bourgeois middle class white
collar bureaucrats, to be white and respectable, to be rational and
responsible, and to be the proud owner of a portion of the American dream
even if it means it comes at someone else's expense - especially if they are
not white, are poor, and lack power.  So I will actively exercise my
decision making in terms of U.S. elections but by not casting my vote for
any of the candidates.  Hopefully, things will get so bad that people in the
U.S. will be forced to question and treat as problematic their basic core
values and presuppositions so as to engage in a revolutionary redesigning of
their goals, values, and processes and stop believing in symbols and
rituals.  Just like global warming, if they fail to do something, there will
be a deserved Hobbesian world in which there will be a war of all against
all in which life will be nasty, brutish, and short.  When you participate
in a rat race, you are a rat whether you win or lose.