[Peace-discuss] Get on the horn!

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 12:09:26 CDT 2007

Greetings!

First of all I realize you may be getting this email on some computer
that might not be in Champaign-Urbana because maybe you don't live
there any more.  Well, I'm not sending this from Champaign-Urbana
because I don't live there anymore...but this is an event that I want
to get the word out about and you are receiving this because even if
you don't live in CU anymore I bet you still know at least 1 person
you can email about what I'm about to tell you!  So...drop them a line
and get them down to the Independent Media Center November 9-11 for a
jam-packed arts/music/entertainment explosion to celebrate WRFU's 2nd
Birthday!!

November 9-11 will be IMCfest at the Independent Media Center in
downtown Urbana.  There will be over 30 bands, art stuff, belly
dancers, and if you haven't been to see the IMC in the old downtown
post office building...well that alone should be impetus for you to
get on down there.  For more info (lineup, costs, specifics):
http://wrfu.net/

Most importantly this event will be a fundraiser for WRFU aka Radio
Free Urbana, 104.5 on the FM dial in CU.  Hopefully if you know me,
you know this is something that is very close to my heart as I was
deeply involved with getting this baby on the air as well as helping
the station function thru fundraising, publicity, outreach, being a
DJ, etc etc.  This event will act as a fundraiser for the station's
permanent tower fund (something that is desperately needed to spread
the signal farther in the community) as well as helping to spruce up
the media production facilities at the IMC.  WRFU is a community
station with a place for everyone.  This isn't just an organization
that media people can support or music people or 'something for the
young people."  It's something the WHOLE community can and should
support.  There are DJs on RFU that range from Baptist ministers to
guys that make "sound art" to folks representin' la raza!  There is a
place at WRFU for any person in CU to have their voice heard...it just
takes you speakin' up.  To that end, this is also an event that has
something for just about anyone.  Want to shake your tail feather to
the best blues in town?  Have Kilborn Alley on Sunday.  Want to see a
guy shred the acoustic guitar like he's the baddest punk rocker in
town?  Have The Beauty Shop on Friday.  Are you a hiphopper?  Sunday
night is all you, baby!  Wanna hear the most beautiful voice in CU?
Kayla Brown, Sunday.  What do you want?  Check the lineup and I'm sure
there will be something up your alley!!

And...it's WRFU's 2nd BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!  The official day of birth
was November 13, 2005 at 5pm...but who's splitting hairs?  I cried
when the station went on the air cos it was such a momentous occasion
for me and it's very sad to me that I'm a continent away, unable to be
at the festivities.  BUT...you can go in my place to enjoy the good
vibes that will no doubt be spread by such a cool event.

So what are you waiting for?  Pass on this email.  Put it on your
calendar!  Spread the word.

Yours in radio, but not in CU...
Lynsee Melchi

--
Join me in Pretoria, South Africa and abroad at my blog (online
journal): http://lynseemelchi.blogspot.com

Tune in to WRFU-LP...Radio Free Urbana 104.5FM online at: www.wrfu.net.

"Trust can never be a fortress, a safe enclosure against life.
Trusting is dangerous.  But without trust there is no hope for love,
and love is all we have to hold against the dark."
       -Creina Alcock-

"You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

-Desiderata