[Peace-discuss] N-G letter attacks Lancet study

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Fri Sep 21 11:38:00 CDT 2007

Nick,

Somehow I do not think that respecting one's enemy is the basis for the
saying and the truth that underlies it.  One holds one's enemy closer than
one's friends to prevent them from stabbing you; thus the basis for the
saying is distrust and not respect.  But I guess distrust can be the
grounding for a tenuous peace.

Respecting one's enemy may not be the fastest way towards peace; but it is a
good basis for undertaking deliberate rational actions with respect to one's
enemy rather than irrational emotional reactions without concern for the
consequences as we in the US are prone to do in the name of God,
Christianity, Democracy, Capitalism, or some other religious, moral, or
political ideology.  Interestingly, the whole notion of mutual destruction
that served to maintain peace during the cold war is in part based on
respect for the capabilities of one's enemies and stands in contrast to the
"better dead then red" approach which (a) disrespects one's enemy and is
based on notions of superiority over one's enemies as well as negative
projection of one's own evil propensities on them; (b) demonizes one's
enemies to the point of ignoring the rational notion that they also have
vested national interests to protect; and (c) entails an inflexible,
non-adaptive, and dysfunctional attitude toward resolution of issues and
problems.

way when people of some other cultures do not?, the answer is in the
question.  It is the culture.  Not just the US but the whole western world
comes from a moralistic cultural tradition which is absolutist (seeing the
world as black and white), inflexible (unwilling and often unable to change
or undergo significant modifications in world view), filled with hubris and
arrogance along with more than a hint of self-righteousness, etc. In fact,
this is also true of the Muslim world which essentially grew up with ancient
Judaism and shares many of the same principles as both Judaism and
Christianity.  It would appear that the more tolerant and flexible cultures
come from India and Asia for the most part (a possible exception possibly
would be the Native American indigenous peoples in the US and Canada
including Alaska).