[Peace-discuss] Billboards and Free Speech

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Mon Sep 24 18:20:05 CDT 2007

John,
This is very interesting.  Because of "free speech rights" an
advertising company like Adams can print anything it wants on its
billboards in Urbana as long as it is not obscene (and of course they
get handsomely paid for it) , while at the same time denying AWARE's
"free speech rights" by refusing to accept our wording "IMPEACH BUSH/
CHENEY" for a billboard in 2006 promoting the ballot advisory
referendum.

This raises some interesting questions.  Is "advertising" protected
free speech and the exercise of free speech as implied in the
constitution?  Where does an "individual's free speech right " fit
into this picture when the company itself (Adams) refuses to print
the wording Impeach Bush/Cheney on a billboard because it is too
politically charged and may have a negative business backlash.

Something is afoul here!

I hope the Urbana City Council sticks to its position of regulating
billboards through "time, place and manner" by not permitting Adams
to place billboards in locations that are unsightly or unwanted by
the citizens of Urbana.  I don't believe the city council is trying
to regulate billboard content but attempting to control  visual
pollution.