[Peace-discuss] Billboards and Free Speech

Laurie at advancenet.net laurie at advancenet.net
Tue Sep 25 00:18:43 CDT 2007

>Yes, it gets complicated in cases where the place in question has
characteristics of both public and private >property.  There have been
important Supreme Court cases trying to decide the issue of whether (a) an
>airport and (b) a shopping mall is public or private property for First
Amendment purposes.  I would argue >that billboards also share
characteristics of both public and private space, but I'm pretty sure the
Supreme >Court has ruled that they're private.

I have no major disagreement with you about some places having the character
of both public and private property for First Amendment purposes; but I
would suggest that most attempts to regulate free speech in such places are
typically not based on the right to control or censor speech and expression
in a public place but usually are based on health and public safety grounds
which allow the private owners of the public places to restrict the size,
location, etc. of the people exercising their right to free speech in ways
that may in effect censor it.  The claims often are that the exercise of
free speech and expression unless regulated and controlled will obstruct the
normal flow of business or traffic, create a public safety hazard, cause
damage to the location, create an additional non-normal expense for the
private owners so as to furnish the rational for charging fees and insisting
on insurance policies before allowing the posting or distribution of
literature, groups engaging in demonstrations, persons carrying out street
theater or performance art, etc.

> Correct...with the caveats listed in a previous e-mail.  For example, in a
residential area a "time, place, and >manner" restriction would probably be
placed on a gigantic billboard in someone's front yard.  Neighbors >would
argue that it blocked visibility for drivers, was unsightly, lowered
property values, etc.  And a court >would probably agree.

These are what I generally refer to as health and public safety laws and
grounds.  I do not think that lowering property values per se would be
viewed as legally permissible grounds for preventing the placement of a
billboard in ones front yard as long as it was located within the property
lines and with several feet between the property lines separating the
private from the public spaces.  You can paint the outside of your house any
color you wish and light it any way you want, put any signs you want in your
yard or on the side of your house despite the complaints of neighbors.  The
City might harass and threaten you with actions; but if you get a lawyer and
challenge them, they will usually back down.  The recognize that there are
limits to what the courts will let them get away with once they have gone
beyond reasonable and empirical grounds that there is a real actual or
probably health concern or public safety basis like fire, blocked visibility
for drivers, etc.

>Ah, but this is why the definition of "visual pollution" could not be based
on the CONTENT of the >speech.  It would have to be framed in terms of the
size or location of the billboard or some other content->neutral criterion.

Yes, but the whole notion of “in locations that are unsightly or unwanted by
the citizens of Urbana” is open to being applied to CONTENT and is not
content-neutral.  For example, I do not object to the words on the billboard
but I find the font used and the color of the sign and its type to be
unsightly and the images and illustrations are not ones that I like and want
so t hey are unwanted.  In such an instance, how is this content neutral?
Isn’t the style and color of the font content and part of the expression?
Should the tastes and preferences of the community or the community majority
matter is deciding what is wanted or not wanted for purposes of permitting
or not permitting the billboard?   My point is that typically communities
play the odds and use content-neutral language and content to mask to
control content to achieve conformity with majority standards and prejudices
knowing that most people will not challenge them and will comply under
pressure.