[Peace-discuss] War crime

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 26 17:44:11 CDT 2007

But it shouldn't be.

Chomsky remarked years ago, "If you assume that there’s no hope, you
guarantee that there will be no hope.  However, if you assume that such
a thing as an instinct for freedom exists, then hope may be justified,
and it may be possible to build a better world. That’s your choice."

And I think Justice Jackson did realize what he was doing. He said at
Nuremberg, "If certain acts of violation of treaties are crimes, they
are crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does
them, and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct
against others which we would not be willing to have invoked against us
.... We must never forget that the record on which we judge these
defendants is the record on which history will judge us tomorrow. To
pass these defendants a poisoned chalice is to put it to our own lips as
well."

--CGE