[Peace-discuss] War crime

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:59:47 CDT 2007

At 05:44 PM 9/26/2007, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>But it shouldn't be.
>
>Chomsky remarked years ago, "If you assume that there's no hope, you
>guarantee that there will be no hope.  However, if you assume that such
>a thing as an instinct for freedom exists, then hope may be justified,
>and it may be possible to build a better world. That's your choice."
>
>And I think Justice Jackson did realize what he was doing. He said at
>Nuremberg, "If certain acts of violation of treaties are crimes, they are
>crimes whether the United States does them or whether Germany does them,
>and we are not prepared to lay down a rule of criminal conduct against
>others which we would not be willing to have invoked against us .... We
>must never forget that the record on which we judge these defendants is
>the record on which history will judge us tomorrow. To pass these
>defendants a poisoned chalice is to put it to our own lips as well."
>
>--CGE

No, it shouldn't be.

But as Laurie has pointed out, talk is cheap.  And it's not an instinct for
freedom he's talking about here; it's an instinct for self-preservation and
double standards of "justice", which I submit is an even stronger instinct
in human beings.

I haven't read the entirety of Jackson's words re Nuremburg, but I'm
guessing that he did NOT say, "Hey, I have a great idea!  As long as we're
convened here, trying war crimes, why don't we just try the United States
for its role in the Spanish-American War?  We can round up a few old
veterans of that war and FRY their asses!"

Anyway, it's a pity that the estimable Justice Jackson is dead, and no one
in any of the three branches of the current administration is taking the
same high moral tone.  Didn't I read somewhere where Bush has refused to
even subject the United States to the jurisdiction of the International War
Crimes Tribunal?

John Wason