[Peace-discuss] A passionate sermon…

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 03:07:32 CDT 2007

Speaking of suicide missions, WHY don't the executive and legislative branches of the US government get this???

  Jenifer

"Morton K. Brussel" <brussel4 at insightbb.com> wrote:
  By Chris Hedges, given September 25, 2007, Judson Memorial Church,
New York City.
Extracts:

But more ominously, an attack on Iran will ignite the Middle East.
The loss of Iranian oil, coupled with Silkworm missile attacks by
Iran on oil tankers in the Persian Gulf, could send oil soaring to
close to $ 200 a barrel. The price of oil would certainly double the
moment war began. The effect on the domestic and world economy will
be devastating, very possibly triggering a huge, global depression.
The Middle East has two-thirds of the world's proven petroleum
reserves and nearly half its natural gas. A disruption in the supply
will be felt immediately.

The 2 million Shiites in Saudi Arabia, the Shiite majority in Iraq
and the Shiite communities in Bahrain, Pakistan and Turkey will turn
in rage on us and our dwindling allies. We will see a combination of
increased terrorist attacks, including on American soil, and the
widespread sabotage of oil production in the Gulf. Iraq, as bad as
it looks now, will become a death pit for American troops as Shiites
and Sunnis, for the first time, unite against their foreign
occupiers. Iran, in retaliation, will fire its missiles, including
the new Qadr-1, with a range of 1,100 miles, on American
installations, including the Green Zone. Expect substantial
casualties, especially with Iranian agents and their Iraqi allies
calling in precise coordinates.. Iranian Shabab-3 and Shabab-4
missiles, as well as the Qadr-1, will be launched at Israel. The
Strait of Hormuz, which is the corridor for 20 percent of the world’s
oil supply, will become trecherous. Chinese-supplied C-801 and C-802
anti-shipping missiles, mines and coastal artillery, along with speed
boats packed with explosives, will target U.S. shipping, along with
Saudi oil production and oil export centers. Hezbollah forces in
southern Lebanon, interpreting the war as an attack on all Shiites,
will fire rockets into northern Israel. Israel, already struck by
missiles from Tehran, will begin retaliatory raids on Lebanon and
Iran. Pakistan, with a huge Shiite minority, will reach greater
levels of instability. The unrest could result in the overthrow of
the weakened American ally President Pervez Musharraf and usher into
power Islamic radicals. Pakistan, rather than Iran, could become the
first radical Islamic state to possess a nuclear weapon. The neat
little war with Iran, which nearly all Democrats do not oppose, has
the potential to ignite a regional inferno.

The country, however, that will pay the biggest price will be
Israel. And the sad irony is that those planning this war think of
themselves as allies of the Jewish state. A conflagration of this
magnitude could see Israel drawn back in Lebanon and sucked into a
regional war, one that would over time spell the final chapter in the
Zionist experiment in the Middle East. The Israelis call their
nuclear program “the Samson option.” The Biblical Samson ripped down
the pillars of the temple and killed everyone around him, along with
himself. It may be a sad and apt metaphor.

The most effective diplomats, like the most effective intelligence
officers and foreign correspondents, possess empathy. They have the
intellectual, cultural and linguistic literacy to get inside the
heads of those they must analyze or cover. They know the vast array
of historical, religious, economic and cultural antecedents that go
into making up decisions and reactions. And because of this—endowed
with the ability to communicate and more able to find ways of
resolving conflicts through diplomacy—they are less prone to blunders.

But we live in an age where dialogue is dismissed and empathy is
suspect. We prefer the illusion that we can dictate events through
force. It hasn’t worked well in Iraq. It hasn’t worked well in
Afghanistan. And it won’t work in Iran. But those who once tried to
reach out and understand, who developed expertise to explain the
world to us and ourselves to the world, no longer have a voice in the
new imperial project. We are instead governed and informed by moral
and intellectual trolls.

This president is guilty, in short, of what in legal circles is
known as the “crime of aggression.” And if we as citizens do not hold
him accountable for these crimes, if we do not actively defy this
government and support impeachment, we will be complicit in the
codification of a new world order, one that will have terrifying
consequences. For a world without treaties, statutes and laws is a
world where any nation, from a rogue nuclear state to a great
imperial power, will be able to invoke its domestic laws to annul its
obligations to others. This new order will undo five decades of
international cooperation – largely put in place by the United States
-- and thrust us into a Hobbsian nightmare

The scenario that faces us requires those of us as citizens to act.
The Democratic Party, which does not have the stomach to halt the war
in Iraq, has made clear it will cheer on our self-immolation in
Iran. A country that exists in a state of permanent war cannot exist
as a democracy. Our long row of candles is being snuffed out. We
will soon be in darkness. I ask you to join me, if we should go to
war with Iran, in refusing to pay your income tax. Put the money in
an escrow account. Dispute this. Go to court. Maybe a few
courageous judges will rule that the Constitution has been usurped
and the government is guilty of what the post-war Nuremberg laws
defined as a criminal “war of aggression.” Maybe. Maybe not. I
no longer know. But I do know this. I have friends in Teheran, in
Gaza, in Beirut and Baghdad, in Jerusalem and Cairo, and even if our
efforts of resistance fail we should at least muster enough integrity
and courage so that when the slaughter is over we will have earned
the right to ask for their forgiveness._______________________________________________
Peace-discuss mailing list
Peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net