[Peace-discuss] John W.'s Founding Fathers

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 07:13:15 CDT 2008

At 11:42 PM 3/31/2008, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Just accident. It was sent to me quite independently of the discussion
>between John and me.

'Twas the perfect cartoon to accompany the discussion, at any rate.  :-)

In a more serious vein, I wish they had offered a course in law school on
the history of our Constitution - on how and why our Founding Fathers came
to the conclusions and compromises they did.  I know there are books on the
subject, but I haven't read any of 'em.

For example, I would have had a tendency to impose much harsher penalties
than mere impeachment on a treasonous Chief Executive like
Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld/Rice.  I'm sure that was debated back in 1787 or
whenever it was, and I'd love to know why the relatively mild sanction of
impeachment was agreed upon.  I suppose because they were afraid that
there'd be endless political witch hunts all the time, as a way of
eliminating one's political enemies.