[Peace-discuss] Letter to the editor

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 12:22:55 CDT 2008

Robert, you don't deserve a serious response, but here's one anyway, in respect for others:

  In general, my background is only relevant in explaining my interest in and passion for this subject, and the responsibility I feel for presenting alternative Jewish voices, as well as the disgust I feel regarding the (institutional) Jewish community being identified with what is, pound for pound, the most sadistic nation in the world.

  To serious audiences, I don't mention my Jewishness except in passing, or if asked. In those contexts, ridiculous accusations of anti-semitism/self-hating are not an issue, and neither is my background, in any substantive way.

  In the Hillel context, individuals know me as Jewish, especially the ones who shouted me down. I don't have to mention it. But it's relevant. If an Arab woman wearing a scarf had spoken critically at Hillel, she would not have received such a vitriolic response--or any, just silent contempt, perhaps a shred of discomfort. As a Jew, I do, because I'm a known quantilty, and the antagonism against me is just ready to blow, as it did in Tuesday. My feelings toward the local commandants also contributed to the situation--let's be honest. In that context, they feel safe and hyper-empowered to control the situation, not to mention throw tantrums and behave like two year olds.

  Anyway, it's important to stress that Zionists hate anti-Zionist Jews much more than anti-Zionist non-Jews, just as liberals hate the left much more than the right. In both cases, it's because they're much more threatened by those who would expose "rational" beliefs as ethnocentric, racist, and violent. Liberals and Zionists are much more comfortable being in the position of wearing the mantle of "moderation" and "compassion" vis a vis the right, however vague those boundaries might be these days. Thus Zionists spend much more energy on Norman Finkelstein than they do on libertarian critics of aid to Israel and general warmongering. An analogy would be hatred of southern segregationists for white dissidents more than African-Americans, who were dismissed as powerless children until they really started to fight back.

  Thus my Jewishness, ironically, helps to explain the reaction at Hillel. They are much more threatened from the inside and the outside--they've been pretty successful at instilling fear regarding criticism of Israel in the gentile population, through reference to anti-Semitism, the Holocaust, etc. You can't do that with Jews.

  The struggle will move forward as that fear is replaced by outrage, and anti-Zionist Jews no longer feel that they have to expend energy making anti-Zionism "safe" for gentiles. The struggle cannot move forward solely on the basis of either the small number of anti-Zionist Jews, or of those who emphasize the Israel Lobby. It will have to come from the broader left and antiwar communities. This is, after all, partly a struggle against ethnocentrism and sectarianism, as well as racism and militarism. It's also inseparable from the struggle against U.S. foreign policy, obviously. In fact, it's the soft underbelly of U.S. foreign policy, and can be used to open eyes to the viciousness of the whole enterprise (while stressing that Israel is not at the bottom of this, we are).

  DG

Robert Dunn <prorobert8 at hotmail.com> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    Enlighten me then Mr. Green. What does "beyond the pale" comes from? Look, you blanket Zionism as some monolithic ideology. However, you fail to tell people how Zionism is diverse in its thinking. Zionism is more than a political ideology. The fact that modern Hebrew is in existence is due to the existence of cultural Zionism. You can criticize Zionism or Judaism all you want to. But, all I am asking you to do is to stop qualifying your criticism with the fact that you were born Jewish. That means hardly anything if you are not giving back to the Jewish community in one way shape or form. I am not saying that some Jewish leaders are beyond criticism! I do not like the fact that a lot of Jewish leaders, in particular Abraham Foxman, whines about the Christian Right on one day, then the next, holds a dinner in honor of Jerry Falwell, and John Hagee. It seems like
 in these cases, there is no consistency. One can not bemoan a "theocracy", than honor or cozy up to those same "theocrats."
I would like to hear why this is happening?
As much as I despise your way of thinking David, I do agree that you should not be banned from any place merely for expressing a contrary viewpoint than the majority. Unfortunately, this happened to me in school when I went to a lecture by Gloria Steinem and during the Q and A, I addressed her hypocrisy in decrying marriage as a form of slavery for women, but when an extremely wealthy man came around, she decided to "become enslaved" and got married. I was physically assaulted and told to leave a public place. Unfortunately, Hillel is a private entity, they can move people out if they want to. I would not have done it.  It only makes one side look reactionary. Again, I was not there, so i can only go by what different people say. As well, folks in AWARE who were not there should not rush to judgment until they have all of the facts down.