[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: Seeking collaborators for benefit performance in Urbana, IL

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 7 01:04:06 CDT 2008

Yes, worth looking into.
   --Jenifer

"Brussel Morton K." <mkbrussel at comcast.net> wrote:
  Any interest?  --mkb

Begin forwarded message:
    From: David Agro <davidpa at levyarts.com>
  Date: April 3, 2008 10:12:24 PM CDT
  To: brussel at uiuc.edu
  Subject: Seeking collaborators for benefit performance in Urbana, IL

  Dear Morton Brussel,

  I am contacting you again because we need your help. You might remember us. For nearly 3 years we have been touring Howard Zinn's MARX IN SOHO. We are currently in search of people, organizations, community spaces, or theaters interested in collaborating with us on a benefit performance of Howard Zinn’s wonderful play. We have been fortunate, during our travels, to support socially conscious initiatives locally and globally. We have had great success using the play to help organizations raise money and stimulate community involvement to aid them in achieving their goals. We will be touring the United States and Canada this summer and would appreciate any help you can offer us in finding people to collaborate with.

  Howard Zinn's is most known for his book, A People's History, offering an alternative and enlightening perspective of American history. The play, "Marx in Soho," focuses on Karl Marx, giving the audience an intimate encounter with Marx the man and his theories. (You can find out more about the play at www.levyarts.com <http://www.levyarts.com>) This play is wonderful for a number of reasons. In addition to being both entertaining and enlightening, it urges people to get involved.

  We have been touring this show for nearly 3 years, and we have had great success using it to help organizations (both large and small) raise money as well as community interest in their endeavors. We have found that when promoted well, a short benefit performance run (2 to 3 performances) can easily bring in between $3,000 and $6,000. With more extended performance runs, this can increase even more. Having worked as activists ourselves, we know how valuable community interest and funds are to achieve one’s goals. We feel very blessed that we are able to help.

  Jerry Levy, who plays Karl Marx in the play, comes to the stage with years
  of experience as an actor and director in addition to being a professor of sociology
  at Marlboro College in Vermont. www.marlboro.edu <http://www.marlboro.edu>. Since his first performance
  of “Marx In Soho” he has performed Zinn's play in Cafés, Theaters, and classrooms
  across the United State, Canada, and Europe! (www.levyarts.com <http://www.levyarts.com> to see a list of our previous performances) The play humanizes Marx but also sets the stage for stimulating dialogue about the relevance of his theories today, making it a rewarding and entertaining experience. Often times the audience finds the discussions after the performance as rewarding as the actual play itself. As Jerry Levy is also a professor, he is often asked to lead a discussion after the performance helping connect the themes in the play, to those an organization is involved in addressing through their work.

  How large is this production? What kind of space will we need? Check out the booking section of our website and you will see that this one-man show is extremely flexible and lends itself to venues both big and small.

  What do we require to come and do a benefit performance? Well first we need a cause, which is not hard to find! Of course we also need a place to perform. Depending on where you are, we might need some of the performance proceeds to go to our travel and some other logistical finances. Each benefit is different, but we have a reputation of being more than accommodating when ironing out the arrangements.

  If you're interested at all in holding a benefit performance for your organization, or have some ideas who we might want to contact please let me know. While right now we are looking to book the performance as a benefit for socially conscious causes, we welcome any other ideas you might have. We are empowered to do benefits by our other “paying” venues. So, if you have a lead on an arts center or theater who we should contact about booking us outright please let us know. If you are not the right person, but know someone or an organization that might be interested, please let me know or just send this message along to them.

  Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

  David
  Howard Zinn's "Marx in Soho."
  to contact us go to: www.levyarts.com <http://www.levyarts.com/>

  davidpa at levyarts.com