[Peace-discuss] AWARE Playbook makes News-Gazette Editorial

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at comcast.net
Fri Apr 11 12:46:25 CDT 2008

Comment below (sent directly to our email and not to peace discuss
list) from Democratic Operative Ralph L. Langenheim.........
regarding my posting of today's N-G editorial.

On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:47 AM, <rlangenh at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Fun, wasn't it?

My response to (Democratic Operative) Ralph L.  Langenheim:

The fun has just begun!  (see letter to editor also in N-G today)

Letter to the editor today:

 Urbana Democrats squelch democracy

Friday April 11, 2008

At Tuesday's Cunningham Township meeting, I saw Urbana Mayor Laurel
Prussing, city council member Robert Lewis, county board members Tom
Betz and Ralph Langenheim, and several former "Democratic" elected
officials vote against adding items to the meeting's agenda that would
have provided time for discussion and voting on whether three
nonbinding referenda – on instant runoff voting, local government
transparency and a study of water municipalization – should be placed
on the November ballot.

This would give all citizens of Urbana the chance to express their
viewpoints on these matters, not just the 70 people who came to the
township meeting. But providing time to discuss the referenda was voted
down. Hearing this called democracy at work makes me sick. Let's let
all of the people of Urbana vote on these issues.

How can you call yourself "Democrats" when you vote against the
keystone of democracy: public discussion and referenda? I have a sour
taste in my mouth and I am looking forward to voting against Mayor
Prussing and anyone else I find out was involved in this strategic
blocking of democracy.

Fortunately for me and other supporters of democracy, the Prairie Green
Party is running four candidates for Champaign County Board who are
supportive of democratic actions such as referenda and will fight for
the people's rights to express themselves, regardless of how they
personally feel about an issue. The candidates are: Walter Pituc and
Kostas Yfantis in District 7, Joe Futrelle in District 8, and Mike
Lehman in District 9.

ERIC WILSON

Urbana
  Find this article at: