[Peace-discuss] hb5505 - twp meetings

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Apr 15 15:13:16 CDT 2008

I called up Representative Ramey (R) and Representative Fortner (R) who
were sponsor and co-sponsor of HR5505.  I discussed with each of them
separately on different phone calls the implication and application of
this bill and its intent, and I asked specifically how this bill would
have modified recent action at Champaign and at Urbana.   They were both
kind and polite and seemed to be sincerely interested in helping me to
understand the intent and function of the bill.  (I am offering the
information here verbatim as best I can without commentary as much as
possible, neither defending not attacking---and it seems that Carl
Estabrook is right [again!] in perceiving correctly that this bill
HR5505 was directed at least in part at activist groups seeking township
advisory referenda on national issues, although other purposes were
expressed).

The intent/purpose of the bill seems to be fourfold (as I was told and
understand):
1) to make sure that agenda items are placed well in advance of the
meeting so that the public is aware of them and the populace is prepared
to turn out to the township meeting.
2) to limit the placement of agenda items calling for referenda that are
not relevant to township activities (Referenda on the War in Iraq was
mentioned specifically by both representatives).
3) to limit the placement of meaningless "fluff" referenda that use up
the maximum of three referenda per election and thereby block other
possible referenda with greater utility/applicability.
4) to ensure that agenda items proposed by the people do get on the
agenda of the annual meeting or at a special meeting.

This legislative action was requested by the TOI (Township Officials of
Illinois?) according to Ramey.

*****
The sponsors of the bill do view this legislation as being modifying to
the referendum power of the electors such that the wording of the bill
could be used to eliminate or restrict anti-war (and anti-torture)
referenda, since it can be argued that such national issue items are not
under the local purveu of the townships.  However both Ramey and
particularly Fortner expressed an opinion that there could be some legal
and local interpretation and it might not necessarily keep national
issue advisory referenda off of township ballots in all cases.  They
both suggested review by an attorney.

I discussed with them the 3 specific advisory referenda proposed for
Urbana.  Ramey was particularly interested in the fact that Mayor
Prussing, the city council and the local Demos were opposed to the
Transparency referendum, while in Champaign, this referendum was
successfully placed on the ballot for the consideration of the voters
with the support of the mayor and some council members.  I briefly
discussed the IRV and Water Municipalization referenda with both of them
as well.  Both of them affirmed that under the intent and language of
HR5505, if those agenda items were properly filed, the request for those
agenda items could not be subject to denial of placement as agenda
items.  The agenda items could of course be voted down, but they could
not be refused from the agenda of an annual or a special meeting if they
were properly filed (15 signatures on the letter of request and filed in
a timely manner...).

***
My interpretation is that this bill is positive overall relative to the
goals of participatory grassroots government at the local level,
even though some national issue referenda may be at least somewhat limited.

The power of the people to call special meetings and to place agenda
items for meetings is increased.
Ramey emphasized that it should be easier to get special meetings called
as a result of this bill (if it passes the Senate).

The events of last week's meeting would have been different.
At least in Urbana, all 3 items could have been placed on the agenda for
discussion,
but any opposition would have had more time to garner their forces
accordingly which seems fair enough.

The unfairness of denying all discussion in the meeting would be abrogated,
but there would be a trade-off of allowing enough time for all sides to
bring their vote power to the meeting, which indeed seems fair enough.

In the case of advisory referenda, the opponents to asking a question of
the voters will still have to bear all of the
stigma and embarrassment of their disregard for free expression for the
voice of the people.

And for those who oppose Transparency in Government, the question --
"What have you got to hide?" still hangs out there.

- EWJ