[Peace-discuss] Urbana City Council meeting last night

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 23:19:48 CDT 2008

Karen wrote: *

Durl Kruse was the next to last to speak. He mentioned that no tax money is
involved, that it comes from the cable agreement

*By cable agreement I'm assuming you mean the franchise agreement. Back in
1995 when the cable company re-negotiated their cable franchise public
access was transferred from the hands of the cable company in exchange for
the communities to have their own channel. I haven't read the hard copy of
the current franchise agreement, but it may be that the City of Urbana is
required to follow specific public access guidelines and that includes
running offensive programming.  If the city refuses to run specific programs
then it's possible for the person who is refused to file a complaint with
the FCC.

Prior to the 1995 agreement Cablevision, later Time Warner, had a public
access channel and, under their rules they had to run programming submitted
by members of the community.  During that time frame a member of a local
white supremacist group submitted shows that were very racist in nature. I
forget the name of the guy, but he is the one who got into a tussle with
Giraldo Rivera.

Now if companies like Time Warner and Comcast end up getting their way - we
may end up seeing franchise packages being taken out of the hands of cities
and transferred to states. In which case then you can kiss your public
access television goodbye.

*
*