[Peace-discuss] Seminar

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 22:59:50 CDT 2008

Friends,
     I attended a seminar on Thursday in which an Urbana police officer gave a description of his typical day at work.
     One example included a incident in which he observed a driver tap another bumper while parking (no damage) and when the officer went to "investigate," the driver (already out of the car) took off running on foot. The officer chased, tackled, maced,  subdued, and cuffed the "suspect" (sound familiar???) who, it then turned out, was in CU in violation of parole. The officer was really proud of his police work that day. Apparently running away from a police officer is illegal in Urbana, too.
     Another example involved setting up a speed trap at an intesection known to have frequent accidents involving speeding (or so he said) at (I think) Fairlawn Drive. The idea was to catch those over the speed limit w/ expired licenses and no insurance, plus -- if drivers are seen to bend down (as if to stash or retrieve something under the front seat), the officer was w/in his rights to frisk the driver and then search the car. So if y're stopped for speeding and drop a pen or earring, don't pick it up until later...
     I asked about assault weapons, gun laws, that I'd heard that police were in favor of that. No, he said. He didn't favor that, because that just left guns in the hands of the criminal element insead of in the hands of law-abiding citizens.
     Moral: if y're a law abiding citizen, carry a gun (and don't bend over).
   --Jenifer