[Peace-discuss] Esther

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 17:30:18 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wendy Edwards" <wedwards at uiuc.edu>
To: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Esther

> I've been positively impressed by Esther, and thought that she did have
> a point in her recent letter to the editor.  Stacking a township meeting
> with supporters is a game that more than one side can play.

But this overlooks the fact that one "side" has their hands directly on
(or close to, in some cases) the levers of governmental power. That is,
people in positions of substantial governmental power and influence acted
to thwart even mere public *discussion* about matters of interest to
citizens they are supposed to serve, providing the appearance of a
ruthless, even vindictive power play for self-serving partisan interests
in a way that to me demonstrates contempt, actually, for true democracy.