[Peace-discuss] Re: UPTV's unexpected ally?

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 16:15:28 CDT 2008

After watching this, I was left clueless about the implications of what happened. It's really hard to keep focused on what these folks are saying.

  DG

Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
  After last night's Urbana City Council meeting I went up to
thank Dennis Roberts for speaking out in support of courage!
... in the form of keeping UPTV as an open medium.

Danielle, I'd like to thank you as well -- as usual -- you
bring out so many good points! Especially poignant
was that it's the sign of a society's decay when a single
person can bring down a public amenity.

As Dennis and I were talking, Heather Stevenson spoke up,
and strongly took pretty much a libertarian line: It's no business
of the government to control what's on my TV -- protecting
children's minds is the duty of responsible parents,
and We always have the choice of turning objectionable things off,
etc. (and repeated this several times). I told her I'd been
wondering what she thought since she hadn't spoken during the
meeting, and was glad she felt that way. Heather was quick to
say that she was still listening and hadn't made up her mind.
Still it's encouraging.

(I'm not sure who-all might be interested in this -- surely
more than you here, who spoke last night or at AWARE -- but am
feeling a little paranoid about broadcasting to peace-discuss now.)