[Peace-discuss] Re: UPTV's unexpected ally?

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:44:52 CDT 2008

David Green wrote:
>   After watching this, I was left clueless about the
>   implications of what happened. It's really hard to
>   keep focused on what these folks are saying.

It was another thrilling evening listening to public comments on the UPTV issue
of Brumleve's video library.

I think it ended with the Urbana City Council saying they will decide next week if
anything is to be done.

Urbana's lawyer's report, which was given to the council members, might be
released to the public. It includes some research about freedom of speech,
among other information.

Todd is working on finding counter collections to sandwich the Brumleve
collection. Evidently "sandwich" means to have counter speech before and after
the other speech. 1/2 an hour on each side.

Some suggestions include:
* Sandwiching the offensive material -- in order to provide "a balance"
* Moving the offensive material to 3am (lawsuit)
* Disallowing 3rd party material (loose some good stuff, including educational)
* Changing the PEG to just EG (as it is in Champaign). P is for Public. E is for
educational. G is for government.
* Moving P to another channel and a different location -- and including more
technical help to produce local stuff.

There were other suggestions.

-karen medina