[Peace-discuss] Brian Chesley's case

Shirley Stillinger shirley.stillinger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 17:57:52 CDT 2008

Although I share the anger and disgust voiced by many of you against the
behavior of the police who arrested Mr. Chesley, there is an important part
of the criminal justice system that has not been mentioned:  the Champaign
County State's Attorney.

Whenever any law enforcement officer in the county makes an arrest, he or
she sends a report to the State's Attorney, who can then do one of three
things:

     1.  Do nothing

     2.  Refer the arrested person into a diversion program

     3.  Take the case to court

I think that diversion would have been the appropriate choice.  Mr. Chesley
contributed to the situation and some consequence seems appropriate.

A couple of years ago, I witnessed a trial in a similar case.  Different
State's Attorney, but the same choice.  As someone muttered in walking out
of the courtroom, "A case of prosecutorial overreach."

--
Note new email address: shirley.stillinger at gmail.com.