[Peace-discuss] Brian Chesley's case

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 20:02:24 CDT 2008

At 05:57 PM 4/29/2008, Shirley Stillinger wrote:

>Although I share the anger and disgust voiced by many of you against the
>behavior of the police who arrested Mr. Chesley, there is an important
>part of the criminal justice system that has not been mentioned:  the
>Champaign County State's Attorney.

It's been mentioned, but maybe not enough.

>Whenever any law enforcement officer in the county makes an arrest, he or
>she sends a report to the State's Attorney, who can then do one of three
>things:
>
>      1.  Do nothing
>
>      2.  Refer the arrested person into a diversion program
>
>      3.  Take the case to court
>
>I think that diversion would have been the appropriate choice.  Mr.
>Chesley contributed to the situation and some consequence seems appropriate.

I THINK Mr. Chesley was offered diversion, and declined.  Diversion
requires an admission of guilt, does it not?

>A couple of years ago, I witnessed a trial in a similar case.  Different
>State's Attorney, but the same choice.  As someone muttered in walking out
>of the courtroom, "A case of prosecutorial overreach."

There's a lot of that going around in the criminal "justice" system.  But
they do try to utilize the diversion program whenever possible, I think.