[Peace-discuss] Not that Obama's any better

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 30 09:58:39 CDT 2008

Delighted to be able to give you such joy, John.  While you're writhing with
pleasure, you might reflect on what you know quite well, that liberalism is the
name we give currently to the covert and overt political theory of possessive
individualism.

The theory holds that society is made up of isolated individuals, having only
chosen and not necessary relations to others. (Or as one of its modern prophets,
Margret Thatcher, put it, "There is no such thing as society: there are
individual men and women, and there are families...")

Not the least contradiction in the theory is that it ignores the condition of
its own apparition, viz. the rise of capitalist society, in which all human
relations are fantasized as commodities ("the fact-value distinction"), and
everyone becomes a salesman.  --CGE