[Peace-discuss] Obama admits to war views

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 30 11:07:04 CDT 2008

The Jeremiah Wright controversy has exposed once again Obama's support for US
war policy in the Middle East.  That support has been clear from the time of his
campaign for the US Senate, although he has covered it with attacks on the war
tactics (but not the overall strategy) of the Bush administration.

"Obama denounced [Wright's suggestion] that the United States was attacked
because it engaged in terrorism on other people..." [NYT]. "When I say I find
these comments appalling, I mean it," [Obama] declared. "It contradicts
everything that I'm about and who I am" [G&M].

"Obama cited Wright's contention ... that U.S. actions overseas were partly to
blame for the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks ... Wright's statements 'offend me,
they rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced and that's what
I'm doing very clearly and unequivocally today,' Obama said in a news conference
in Winston-Salem, North Carolina" [Bloomberg].

Of course what Obama supports -- aggressive war in the Middle East in "Afpak,"
Iran and Palestine as well as in Iraq -- is worse that terrorism and includes
it, as the Nuremberg tribunal pointed out at the beginning of the post-WWII
world. The tribunal, spelled out in the UN Charter, declared that initiation of
a war of aggression is “the supreme international crime differing only from
other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the
whole.”

But Obama rejects Wright's quite accurate characterization of US policy. --CGE