[Peace-discuss] Hedges: only a candidate who calls for an immediate end to the war...

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:16:22 CDT 2008

I have read your statements.

All I've seen is "McCain or NOT McCain" and stating that McCain would
be worse.  Why?

Both candidates have talked about usage of the military in an
imperial fashion.

Both candidates have talked about a continued (if not permanent)
presence of United States troops in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

Both are not interested in ending the war and immediately withdrawing
all soldiers.

Both are interested in continuation of domestic spying and giving
immunity to telecommunications.

Both are interested in increasing the military budget and the size of
the military for future interventions.

Both candidates are against single payer health care and support the
disease industry of American 'medical care'.

The Democrats have voted for the Patriot Act.  They voted to
eviscerate the 4th Amendment and give telecoms immunity from their
illegal actions.  They voted for the authorization of force.  They
appointed the conservative justices to the SCOTUS.  They've had years
of opportunities to stop the wars and not cede power to the
President.  Yet, that's exactly what they've done and continue to do.

For all those who have died (and will die under an Obama Presidency),
it is highly disrespectful to the dead and the future dead to put
their lives in the balance on the basis of a wish, a hope and a lark
that Obama could possibly be pulled to end the orgy of bloodshed and
violence.

There is only this moment,

      Neil

  We absolutely have to refuse to attribute any kind of permanency to
that which is simply because it is.
[angela v. davis, 1944-]

The point is, the only real tools we have are our eyes and our heads.
Its not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; its correctly
comprehending what we see.
[warren ellis, 1968-]