[Peace-discuss] Seen this??

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 01:22:22 CDT 2008

Seen this?? Check out the link

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKN0126069520080802

A friend wrote the following letter to (writer/commentator/comedian) Harry Shearer.
 --Jenifer

--- On Fri, 8/1/08, Dale R wrote:

Dear Harry,

I over slept this morning.  Or maybe I've been asleep for months.  When did
we repeal the 4th Amendment?  I just read that "U.S. federal agents have
been given new powers to seize travelers' laptops and other electronic
devices at the border and hold them for unspecified periods.  The policies cover
hard drives, flash drives, cell phones, iPods, pagers, beepers, and video and
audio tapes -- as well as books, pamphlets and other written materials without
suspicion of wrongdoing."

Well, I expect to be subject to search when entering the country.  I expect to
have illegal materials taken from me.  I even expect to be arrested for having
certain illegal materials.  But to face having literally anything and everything
taken for no cause is just beyond the pale.

I really see no reason for them to stop at books or other written materials..  I
see no technological reason why someone could not embed coded messages into the
weave of a fabric and do it in such a way that it would not be noticed by simple
inspection at the border.  So I suppose you might well expect to be relieved of
your boxer shorts the next time you enter the country -- or any other article of
clothing for that matter.

Just imagine a line of people exiting US customs at O'Hare in nothing but
their birthday suits or Government Issue hospital gowns.

It's a short step from here to having them stop you on the street or in
your car and just take it all away.