[Peace-discuss] other t-shirts

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 4 03:27:44 CDT 2008

At tonight's meeting I passed around some unreadably small pictures of
four Syracuse Cultural Workers t-shirts.  Here are larger versions
with links to the SCW page for each:

    http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/stuffed/slevy/aware/syracuse.html

I especially like the first of the four shown there.  Three fish swim.

    The first and smallest thinks, There is no justice in the world.

    The second, larger one, mouth open to swallow the first, thinks,
    There is some justice in the world.

    The largest fish, about to swallow the first two, is thinking,
    The world is just.

This and the other shirts are relatively expensive at ~$21,
but the materials are good -- sweatshop-free, organic cotton shirts.
They offer some sort of wholesale discount for resellers
(Janet, do you know about that?) in case we wanted to sell some at
Farmer's Market.

Also passed around a design sold by cafepress.net for one variant of the
quote-attributed-to-Martin-Niemoller,

   http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/stuffed/slevy/aware/first-they-came.html

   First they came for the Communists,
      and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
   Then they came for the Jews,
      and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
   Then they came for the trade unionists,
      and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
   Then they came for the Catholics,
      and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
   Then they came for me,
      and by that time no one was left to speak up.

(a bunch of other variants of this quote, including a report of a
1971 interview in which Niemoller himself mentioned which version he
preferred -- which is different from the above -- appear on the
wikipedia page
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...
)

I'm not sure what the source of cafepress's t-shirts is but
have written to ask them.