[Peace-discuss] IVAW member writes letter to editor

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at comcast.net
Thu Aug 7 11:16:44 CDT 2008

Let's use war money for Splash program

Thursday August 7, 2008

I was a little disheartened to see that Urbana's Splash program funds
are drying up. I thought to myself, "Where might one get another
$743,000 over the next five years." It didn't take me long to see that
Urbana's bill for the war in Iraq is now totaling an egregious $51
million, according to the National Priorities Project.

It appears that our priority not just nationally, but locally, is to
ensure that our children don't have a place to go after school but a
place to die once they're old enough to support our war economy. As a
combat veteran of Iraq, I can assure you that money spent on children
is more beneficial than occupying foreign countries following acts of
aggression. I hope, as a society, we are better than this, but then
again we are still in Iraq and Splash will be searching for money.

PAUL MCGUIRE

Urbana
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2008/08/07/