[Peace-discuss] Some sense on Georgia/Russia

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 12 11:17:18 CDT 2008

rlangenh at illinois.edu wrote:
> The presence of a major oil pipeline from Azerbaijan to the Black Se,
> aoffering egress for the oil of the Caspian Basin to Europe without Russian
> control, of course, has nothing to do with all of this.  Ralph Langenheim

It has of course a great deal to do with it, as I pointed out in an earlier
post.  It's the US principal concern, and the reason the US has been shipping
arms and military trainers (often Israeli) to Georgia.

It's the cornerstone of US foreign policy in the region, shared by Reps and Dems
alike, that the US must control ME energy resources, in order to have a lever to
use against its primary economic competitors in the world -- not Russia, of
course, but Europe and northeast Asia.

The Georgians know what the US interest in their country is.  That's why the
Georgian Prime Minister immediately claimed that the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan
pipeline had been bombed by Russian planes. (It hadn't.)

BP operates the 1,109-mile pipeline -- the world's second largest -- that
carries oil from Azerbaijan to Western markets via the Turkish Mediterranean
port of Ceyhan.  It's been out of action since Wednesday, but not because of the
Russians -- because of a fire caused by an explosion in eastern Turkey for which
Kurdish separatists claimed responsibility.

But note that the world oil price hasn't risen with the Russian counterattack.
That says more about the world economy than anything else, but it certainly
implies that people recognize that the Russian action is not a challenge to US
hegemony over ME oil.  --CGE